Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Which rack is in my car?

Hi,

My steering rack took a shit and i ordered a new one from rack doctor. I get under the car and realize it looos very different from the one that i received from rack doctor. I know the car has had some mods but this particular one i wasn’t told about.

Can anyone tell me what power steering rack is Stamped with a sort of waffle pattern and has the code 371717 0696? It also has 7852 501 174 024 or (maybe z852)

Last edited by quanaman; 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

E36 Rack.
      » PARTS FOR SALE
      » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Thanks! Is there a way to know which model? Did you get it based on the numbers i found in it?

Comment

Bump please

Comment

Yes, not sure which model exactly.
            There are so many part numbers for E36 alone.
            » PARTS FOR SALE
            » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

I’m gonna give rackdoctor a call Monday and ask what their thoughts are. Do you think that any e36 rack will work since the car has been modified to fit an e36 rack apparently? Or could they be different with the steering solines and whatnot? I do see the metal spacers that were installed with the rack and the subframe bolts as well

Comment

Spoke with them today. I was advised it’s most likely an e36 rack due to there being a breather tube line going from about the middle of the rack to the passenger side. I’m gonna send back my e30 rack and get the e36.

Just update in case someone else may need to find out in the future, will report back later.

Comment

There is no modification needed other than bending the lines slightly and installing spacers with the rack. You could swap in the stock rack, but it will feel a lot different.

Comment

Yeah, i didn’t wanna pay to downgrade. I figure if I’m paying for a new rack i might as well at least maintain the feel of the steering. Plus the e36 rack is gonna be a few bucks cheaper. It’ll wash out with me paying the shipping costs to send back the. E30 rack tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X