Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delphin Gray Convertible: S52 Summer Daily

As it sits: 5/9/17

This is my first E30 but I’ve been around BMWs for a while. Currently my friend and I have an E36 325is track car and I've also had a few E46s.

Outside of BMWs I drive a 2002 Tacoma TRD. It’s my daily but it came with lockers which means they have to get used from time to time.

One night while browsing eBay I found a guy selling a 1990 325is. I won the car on a super low bid and when talking to him the next day found out he was also selling a convertible. A week later two friends and I were rolling down the NJ Turnpike in the IS, the Convertible and my truck. The previous owner really cared about the cars and sent us off with all the parts we could carry. I sold the IS off not to long after.

The interior sold me on the car immediately. The engine made some rough noises but it lasted through the summer which was all it needed to do.

1987 325i Convertible
    Delphin Metallic
    165,400 Miles

As it came:
    Bilstien Sport Suspension w/ Eibach Pro Kit
    Remus Cat Back
    Conforti Chip
    Racing Dynamics Side Skirts and Rear Bumper
    Mille Miglia Spider Wheels
    Last edited by exhaust; 02-06-2018, 06:16 PM. Reason: Progress.

Great looking cars, The vert looks beautiful inside and someone had to take care them both for how they look.

Comment

Nice score, really like the vert.

Comment

Update:

LSD is in. 3.73 from an IS car.

Last night I went and tried to install a new release lever for the convertible deck lid. The car came without a lever and just the two loose cables. PO had been using a pair of pliers individually pull the cables to release the deck.

I bought a new handle and went to try and mount the cables to it. Thought I had it but then the deck wouldn't release. I tried taking the new lever off and pull the cables again but no luck.

Looking at more diagrams, it looks like I need more of this handle than I got from Pelican. Anyone have any thoughts?

No most importantly....how do I release the deck lid now that the release cables won't work...

Comment

Figured out the top situation and got the lid open. Just had to remove the trim and slide a long flat head screwdriver down and pop the latch. Since then I got all new fitted floor mats which look great.

Last night I attempted to adjust the valves. That did not go right and it sounded pretty bad after I bolted it all back up. R3V's Facebook had some good advice so I'll need to tear back into it. I'm thinking I either didn't have the lobes all the way down, didn't adjust to the feeler gauge right or my eccentrics are worn out.

http://vid1212.photobucket.com/album...709_222956.mp4

Comment

I LOVE those Mille Miglia wheels. If you decide to sell them, please PM me.

That said, nice score on both accounts. The convertible is a very, very clean starting point.
            Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

I'm actually digging the overall exterior look. The body kit fits well with those wheels, and the fact that the upholstery/top have already been done is a huge benefit; those are usually the most expensive and labor-intensive parts.

Comment

Thanks! I'm planning on going five lug this winter so I'll keep you in mind for them.

Comment

Originally posted by exhaust View Post
                  Thanks! I'm planning on going five lug this winter so I'll keep you in mind for them.
                  Patrick Henry

Comment

one of the cleanest interior I've ever seen.

Esquire E30 Build (87 325i Vert)
                    Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

Had some stuff show up today! This is great since the vert's radio only plays one CD and you can only turn it on or off. It's actually hell. The Kenwood unit is the single DIN version of one I have in my truck. It has a variable color so it can be matched to rest of the E30's amber dash lights.

Comment

Is the x-brace particularly effective on convertibles?
                        Patrick Henry

Comment

I've read that it is and the reviews seem promising. I'll post back once it's in and see if I really notice a difference. This one is from Garagistic

Comment

Update. Got a lot done this week! First thing I did was get started on the speaker install. The previous owner had an old set of Alpines installed in the front which were on their way out. He also used about four sticks of hot glue to install the Alpine tweeters in the pods. Had to use a heat gun to get it all out and redo it with the Blaupunkts.

Once that was done I fixed the odometer.

My buddy who has a 318i convertible came by and fixed his too. His car is 91 and getting to the ODO is way more annoying. Instead of the knurled nuts there are 8mm nuts and it's awkward to fit a wrench in. My 87 was out in about 1/3 the time.

He picked it up a few weeks ago. First stick shift and project car haha, he's learning slow but catching on.

Engine bay is super clean too

Comment

You'll really like the x-brace, they help with cowl shake a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X