Rats nest underneath steering column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I got my car back from a mechanic. Any ideas on how to clean this shit up?! F****** pissed about this. I have the cover also but it won’t stay up, the wiring is weighing it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

get under a car that’s assembled correctly and figure out where everythign should be attached.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

the black thing on the left i'm not convinced is OEM, few other strange looking cables too (that rolled up grey cable). Alarm or something perhaps?

Take it back to the mechanic and ask for a refund.

Comment

Yeah looks like there’s some aftermarket stuff in there
        sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
        1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
        1991 318is - Sold
        1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Step 1: throw the alarm and all components in the trash
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
            Step 1: throw the alarm and all components in the trash
            This.

Looks like an 80’s UNGOBOX alarm
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I bought mine and it came like this but even more mangled. There were some serious issues from guys hacking wires over the years. Anyone have a resource for putting this stuff back in line?

Comment

my car has an alarm like that but works. ive thought about removing it because it locks and unlocks via key fob. only thing key fob is falling apart. my locks on the door dont really work with the key unless i fiddle with it, to the point were the key feels like it will break. would you guys remove it?
                why did your mechanic tear apart your dash?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                  my car has an alarm like that but works. ive thought about removing it because it locks and unlocks via key fob. only thing key fob is falling apart. my locks on the door dont really work with the key unless i fiddle with it, to the point were the key feels like it will break. would you guys remove it?

Silicon GREASE down the lock mecahnism in trunk and try to get some on hinges of doors. Use the trunk to lock and unlock car from now on you’ll be dependent on central locking system through rear hatch, which should not put strain on your key.

Oh and make sure you have at least 4 copies of your key at all times. If your break it I wish you luck as you won’t be able to even remove the igntion cylinder without turning the key in it.

Im thinking of installing one of these in the trunk , should be easy, to make my life easier as my drivers door has a broken key and passenger would snap one any second. Docooler Car Remote Central Lock Locking Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QH9C5A..._PB-VCbQVSZRYV

Of course I’ll always make sure key being turned in lock still works alongside the remote easy access, if your lock stops turning grease it up and don’t drive her! You don’t want to be locked out on a dead battery, so always keep the locks greased and happy. And cut up a old credit card to the shape of your key, insert your key and insert into wallet. Spare 24/7

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post

Not entirely sure on reason why he took my stuff apart. Nothing was installed back properly. There are missing nuts/bolts. The cluster isn’t working and my windows. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with this rats nest. My fuses and window switches are all functioning properly. I would like to remove this aftermarket alarm in the near future. It does still work but is super out dated.
                    If there is anyone that has the knowledge and patience to help me out I’d greatly appreciate it!

Comment

I can get it sorted for you.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Your "mechanic" should have put it back! Not sure how some of these people stay in business. :/
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Way too many wires in there, removing that alarm system would be my first step. Here's my messy, but stock, wiring on an 89 325i to get you started on what should be in there.

sigpic

ClassicBimmerBits.com

Garage:______________________________________
                          -1989 Alpinweiss II 325i - Other Daily Driver
                          -1989 Zinnoberrot 325i - Daily Driver
                          -1974 2002 - Weekender
                          -1989 325ix - Totalled :(
                          -1981 320i - Sold
                          -1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold

Comment

For those who have improperly working driver's side door locks:

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                              For those who have improperly working driver's side door locks:
                              http://bmw.e30tuner.com/articles_lockrebuild.php

Is this my issue ? My door lock will snap each key I try to turn in the drivers side

Comment

Working...
                              X