Central Locking Diagnostic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Locking Diagnostic

I got a PM this morning and I though I would share the answer with R3V as I get these questions pretty often:
    Originally posted by tdoyle
    i have a 92 318ic. (build 4/92) drivers door will open with the key, but will not unlock, although the key turns in the cylinder. If I unlock the passenger door with the key, it has no effect on the drivers door. I am not sure if there are power locks, or just manual.
    Any ideas/
    Thanks,
    Tim Doyle
    ps, followed your instructions for radio install in another thread. worked perfect!
    Tim, here is a basic idea of how our power lock system works:

There are 5 wires to each "active" door lock "actuator" or solenoid. 2 run the motor, 1 is ground, and the other 2 instruct the central locking module to either lock or unlock.

When the actuator moves, one of those request wires will go to ground...kinda makes sense, right?

So: white and blue are the motor wires
    Brown is the ground
    Yellow/blue is lock request
    Green blue is unlock request

These might change as they go into the door, that is not my responsibility! Read your ETM or electrical diagram carefully.

Motor wires: Both white and blue will show ground when the system is at rest. One of the 2 will switch to ground when the system is attempting either lock or unlock, so the motor gets both +12V and ground...if the system requests unlock, the other wire goes to +, see?

This is called "voltage reversal", and is used pretty much any time a motor is used in 2 directions (i.e., not the HVAC blower motor, but windows, etc.)

So a basic test is to remove the plug from the bottom of the door lock actuator, make a small jumper to quickly and briefly connect from the ground to the lock request wire and see what happens.

Once you actually get off your butt and take the door apart this will make more sense.

Keep in mind that if you are doing this in the drivers door you must "fake" the lock system into thinking the door is closed, so flip that latch before any testing.

So, if you can lock and unlock the car by jumping the wires, your actuator is crapped out.

Simple, huh?

Other issues in the central locking system will be addressed later

GL!
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

BTW, I wanna thank Tim for asking a question intelligently, including vehicle info.

Thanks!

Luke
    9reserved for future crap)

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Stereoinstaller,
      Thanks for the info. I will open it up after the holidays. Is it assumed that the car has power locks? Or can I confirm by looking for a fuse/relay?
      Happy Holidays,
      Tim

Comment

An E30 in the states without central locking is a very rare bird.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Hi, Ok then. I'll see what it looks like when I get it apart.
          Thanks for the help.
          Tim

Comment

Working...
          X