No announcement yet.

Diaries of a AWD E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced the axle boots and flipped the oil filter housing. about to break 140k

Originally posted by fight4life28 View Post
    Great looking IX, I really think the body kit is complete with the rear valance in place. lines up perfectly. If you don't mind me asking what paint did you use for valve cover and intake manifold?
    Same going to do something different up front pretty soon. Its just a red gloss powder coat not sure on the exact shade

Originally posted by bankrupt View Post
    Your ix is a beauty. I got an ix in need of a really light set up like yours. How do I get it built? Plus I want that is lip.
    Thanks.
    MattB light bar, I made my own before but was not very strong.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    If you have it, and don't mind parting with it. I made the mistake of getting rid of mine when I first got the car and regret it.
    Yeah PM me...
    Last edited by Chrisbike; 08-14-2018, 07:10 PM.
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

neat

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Good work. Glad you took the rally lights off, but that's just my preference.
        http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post

Replaced the axle boots and flipped the oil filter housing. about to break 140k
          Huh? what do you mean by flipped the oil filter housing?
          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            Huh? what do you mean by flipped the oil filter housing?
            you can rotate it 180 degrees to make the filter face forward and be less under the exhaust. unclear if it accomplishes much but it makes it a little easier to get to.
            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              you can rotate it 180 degrees to make the filter face forward and be less under the exhaust. unclear if it accomplishes much but it makes it a little easier to get to.
              Isn't the aircon in the way then?
              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                Isn't the aircon in the way then?
                Usually but not if you don't have it. Haha ;)

Done with my first two semesters and back in Highlands Ranch, Still trying to land a summer job at Schomp BMW. Updates with the e30 soonish...
                Build Thread
                Parts Thread

Comment

Big update

Hey, guys so it been a while and I thought I'd give an update on the car. Many more to come. Pulled my RHD flywheel and Purchased a UUC clutch kit and iX getrag 260 with 10k from Stevan on here. Got some Hella Frenchies on the way and some smoked MHW's. Got a Italvolanti Formel 365mm and also have a OMP suede wheel in a 330 for track/ autoX days same with a omp HRC-R XL. going to get a 6-pnt belt and hans after I get the car roadworthy. Got a roll bar from Ben Simpson built to my specifications. Flocked my dash with a kit from flockit.com. Ordered a pair of used SR3 recaros from used racing parts which will be reupholstered in the silver mtech cloth which came in the johnny cecotto m3's. all my seat brackets are from MassiveLee. Got a e36 swaybar and am currently welding up the second set of shortened housings, planning on lifting the subframe a inch or so to reduce some of the high axle angle. I also got my 3rd set of axles and a finland fix from a local so that will get welded to work with a x5 guibo. Got a ACS Front apron (yes its real)... got a 360 v0 RTD shifter... Also a sneak peak at my next wheel setup, 17x8 et35

Last edited by Chrisbike; 07-31-2018, 03:06 PM.
                  Build Thread
                  Parts Thread

Comment

Wow, this thing is really coming along great! This is exactly how I had always wanted to build an iX if I didn't ditch the chassis haha. Good on you for seeing the front sway through, I'm sure that'll be a nice upgrade.

I'm assuming you're going turbo due to the flywheel/clutch change? Good you're stockpiling axles. I had like 6 pair at one point, all rebuilt. My brother just did his annual passenger side inner boot change. I have but one spare used pair left. That axle angle is crazy.

Have you done any measurements to see how moving the subframe will change bumpsteer?
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                      Wow, this thing is really coming along great! This is exactly how I had always wanted to build an iX if I didn't ditch the chassis.
                      Thanks Bob, I believe the iX chassis that has a lot more pontential than it’s rwd counterpart. Some hate them cause the parts are expensive or since you can’t do a burnout or drift they’re useless. Wouldn’t wanna waste expensive rubber anyway...

Working on the sway upgrade, lift the subframe to correct axle angle and bumpsteer like you said. I’m changing my springs to something around 525/6inch /750/5” springs and after setting height I will make measurements for lifting the subframe but it will affect the driveline angle so it will be quite complex. For now I’ll measure for links and get the housings welded with the tube below knuckle instead of flush to give me more travel. Oh and still looking at a e36 rack...

Yes, planning on a turbo in the future, goals are to be around 280-350whp stock engine on pump gas 91. I have only looked at a few manifold options and different chargers. Yeah I’m going to see if CVJ will rebuilt some of mine. Ideally I’ll have at least 2 rebuilt sets at any giving time. Ideally I can lift the subframe and correct the angle. That picture is what the angle looks like at what my maximum angle would be close to ride height. Max inner is 20 degrees and outer is 45* so I’m shooting to keep the angle away from that. So I can install some offset cabs. When I get the suspension sorted and start driving it again we’ll be looking into boosting it.
                      Build Thread
                      Parts Thread

Comment

Hey Chris, it's nice to see the project going forward.

What's the best way to lift the subframe?

Comment

So much yes.

Is the Fin still making those extensions? I need one. You plan on doing it so you don't have to drop the TC each time youd like to check it? I know it's greasable through the nipple, but always nice to have that easy access too.

Is that CV angle how it drives?

Please give impressions on the LWF from UUC.

You're making me jealous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by notanawdix80 View Post
                            Hey Chris, it's nice to see the project going forward.

What's the best way to lift the subframe?
                            Yeah, it’s moving now. Mw044 has done something like so. I’m planning on doing essentially the same. You cut the frame rail and notch it and the axle thus raising the subframe.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            So much yes.

Is the Fin still making those extensions? I need one. You plan on doing it so you don't have to drop the TC each time youd like to check it? I know it's greasable through the nipple, but always nice to have that easy access too.

Is that CV angle how it drives?

Please give impressions on the LWF from UUC.

You're making me jealous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                            I am unsure as I bought this one local. Just trying to make it work with an x5/ rear driveshaft sized flex disc since I have one and they are half the price of a stock one. I actually think dropping the transfer case is rather easy... No that was where I presume would be max compression with the new housings/ spring setup not ride height. Should be similar to the RHD flywheel but the clutch should take a massive beating compared to a stock clutch. The nice thing about the M5 clutch comparison is that you can use a stock m5 clutch that holds 300whp in a 3700lb car and is very forgiving to drive. Making you jealous is just a side effect of spending too much, thanks... haha
                            Last edited by Chrisbike; 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM.
                            Build Thread
                            Parts Thread

Comment

Holy cow that front axle angle is insane but then again you are pretty low. Wow!!!!

Is it hard to find those smoked tails? They look great.
                              325IX Build Thread
                              RX7 Build Thread

Comment

I'm jealous of your cage! The car looks badass to, always good to see ix's getting put to their potential.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
                                X