Sterling Silber M-technic Cabriolet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterling Silber M-technic Cabriolet

I've mentioned my new acquisition in a couple posts, but I thought it deserved it's own thread. I saved this beauty from being parted out. I found it in this thread of bimmerforums. I got the VIN from the seller and then did some homework and talked to a couple r3v experts about it to confirm that it's an authentic M-tech II with the all-leather interior option (it doesn't have evo cloth like most tech IIs.) Then I arranged to meet the seller at his storage in Palm Springs to buy it. It all happened in about 3 days.

It has 235k miles, and according to the prior owner, about 135k on the motor. It had been in storage for a couple years but it runs, just needed a new driveshaft and a shit-ton of maintenance. It also needs a new top, new seat covers, and new paint eventually. It's got a crack-free dash, clean carpet, and the leather door panels are in nice shape.

The build sheet

Here it is as I found it

and on a trailer getting towed to E30 Motor Werks for a post-purchase inspection ;)

and waiting to be probed and prodded

Almost all of the interior is leather-clad, even the ashtrays.

I took the door panels and center console off to clean them up. The front door panels are in great condition, the rears need a little work.

before

after

Last edited by robrez; 09-12-2017, 02:39 PM.
    sigpic
    January 2012 COTM

Can't wait to see the progress.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

i love sterling cabbies! so sexy. do the grilsl up right, and drive the shit out of it!
      sigpic

Comment

The first mods will be to remove the Racing Dynamics rear spoiler, and then add these 16" Alpinas.

Other parts awaiting installation are euro grills and smileys. And I'm on the constant look-out for a hard-top and oem windscreen.
        sigpic
        January 2012 COTM

Comment

Awesome car!

Vehicle information

VIN long WBABB231XMEC26672
          Type code BB23
          Type 325I (USA)
          Dev. series E30 (C)
          Line 3
          Body type CABRIO
          Steering LL
          Door count 2
          Engine M20
          Cubical capacity 2.50
          Power 125
          Transmision HECK
          Gearbox AUT
          Colour STERLINGSILBER METALLIC (244)
          Upholstery SCHWARZ VOLLEDER (0318 )

Prod. date 1991-05-02

Order options
          No. Description
          240 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
          375 STOFFVERDECK ELEKT.MECH.SCHWAR
          530 AIR CONDITIONING
          540 CRUISE CONTROL
          551 ON-BOARD COMPUTER II W REMOTE CONTROL
          675 BMW SOUND SYSTEM
          771 M Technic Luxusausstattung
          925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Comment

Nice find. So what are your plans for this?

COTM

Comment

Rob, I'm suscribing to this thread to track your progress, I'm sure it will be awesome!

Comment

Rob,

Saw the latest addition to the stable in person the last time I swung by the shop, seems like a stout platform. Still thinking of keeping it two pedal'd? Regardless, best of luck, I'm sure I'll see the progress in person.

P.S., I secretly despise you for your ability to stumble on to rarities!

:D

Comment

Nice pick-up!! Glad it's going to a good home. First thing's first though, loose the painted grills and wing. They make baby Jebus cry, a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                    Awesome car!

Vehicle information

Gearbox AUT
                    Thanks for the info., and reminding me about this feature

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                    Nice find. So what are your plans for this?
                    I want to make it a respectable weekend cruiser. As noted by Mr. McCooney below, it has a stout platform. No signs of accident history, but it's far from pristine. A couple dents and few dings, lots of miles, a so-so re-spray, a replacement hood, and holes drilled in the rear decklid to mount the aftermarket spoiler.

It's begging to be saved though, so once it's running right, it will get new seat leather, a new top, and a good re-spray.

Originally posted by Ray McCooney View Post
                    Rob,

Saw the latest addition to the stable in person the last time I swung by the shop, seems like a stout platform. Still thinking of keeping it two pedal'd? Regardless, best of luck, I'm sure I'll see the progress in person.

P.S., I secretly despise you for your ability to stumble on to rarities!

:D
                    As a weekend cruise-mobile, I'm going to see if I can hang with it being an automatic. But an engine/drivetrain swap may be in the long-term plans.

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                    Nice pick-up!! Glad it's going to a good home. First thing's first though, loose the painted grills and wing. They make baby Jebus cry, a lot.
                    Working on that...

Note that the bottom left passenger side ellipsoid mounting tab was broken in transit, s^ck@m0th@f*cka
                    sigpic
                    January 2012 COTM

Comment

Congrats on the find, a true diamond in the rough!! Judging from the sedan this one will turn out nice as well.
                      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

so subscribed and so envious...

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

looks great, can't wait to see what you do with it - love sterling silver and mtech2. People tend to do awful things to those Mtech cars, except for a couple enthusiasts I've seen locally the "regular" ones are always trashed.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            People tend to do awful things to those Mtech cars, except for a couple enthusiasts I've seen locally the "regular" ones are always trashed.
                            Agreed. It's always sad to see what was once a classy car all clapped out. I'm gonna try to keep this car mostly to true to its original form.

One of the first things I did was fix the rear slammage. That was easy though. All I had to do was remove this bad boy from the trunk :roll:

Last edited by robrez; 09-12-2017, 02:40 PM.
                            sigpic
                            January 2012 COTM

Comment

lol. what is that, 150lbs? It's funny how some people will have a broken ass car, but they still spend thousands on stereo equipment.

my car doesn't even have a radio at the moment :p
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X