BMW cm5908 Tape Deck Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW cm5908 Tape Deck Problem

I was driving to a powder-coater to drop off some new-to-me 16x8 AC Schnitzer Type 1 wheels. Being stuck in that fabulous Cali traffic, I'm just chilling jamming out to Black Sabbath's Paranoid on cassette. Music goes quiet, cool, switching sides, *5 min later with no sound*, something's fucky.

Tape got stuck, it would make a clicking noise, but no music. I couldn't eject, fast-forward, rewind, change program, nothing. Obviously with a stuck tape, radio was dead too.

When I got home I pulled the head unit, I took the top cover off and used the levers to force the tape out. Now the radio works, but tapes get instantly stuck and starts that clicking noise. With the top cover off, I can push the cassette loader down as if there was a tape in there. That's when I hear the clicking noise, like the gears trying to drive the tape broke?

What broke and how do I fix it?

Last edited by McGyver; 05-08-2019, 10:58 PM.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

your tape deck drive belt is 30 years old.. stretched 2cm or more, dried out.. there may be something else mechanical going on too.

I do have a tape deck repair offering, but if I can't fix your unit you will need to replace it. Good time to switch to Jay's Cantaloupe bluetooth board...
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
    X