Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cut the bottom off a plastic soda bottle, slide the shock into it, then drill through the plastic bottle and the shock. The bottle acts as an extra shield and forces 90% of the fluid blown out of the shocks towards the cut off end of the bottle.(which is easily pointed away from you) you still need to shut your mouth and wear goggles just in case but it keeps the toxic cloud down.

Glad your OK.

Erik

Comment

glad to hear you didn't die! There a particular reason why you were drill on the top of the shock?

Either way, lesson learned!
      stephenbrody.com

Comment

Man I'm glad that I just took mine off and threw them in the garbage.

Comment

this makes me not want to tuck any e30 bumpers, that'd be my kind of luck

Comment

Originally posted by zxert View Post
            After a chest Xray I was told I wasn't going to die. Given a breathing treatment to open up my lungs and sent home with an inhaler.
            waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles. :rofl:
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

If you die at least it will be for a great reason. DBs get no e-cred on the forums.
              "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I had a similar experience. I did them on the car and a small amount sprayed very forcefully into my eyes. I washed them out thoroughly and didn't experience any more symptoms but did the last 3 very carefully after that. I did them while still installed on the car. Took about 30 minutes.

Comment

The roof of my garage is more fluid-stained than a 16 year olds bedsheets.

Wear protection when drilling bumper shocks!

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Small drill bit was your biggest mistake, the oil wouldn't have come out with such force with a larger one.

Sucks, hope your lungs get better soon. I'm always having problems with all the shit I breathe in at work (luckily never full blown pneumonia though), it's definitely FTL.
                    '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                    '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Hope your alright, and the meet was kool good turnout sux you had to miss it.
                      sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

omg thank god your alright man. ive been really looking to do this and the NJ weather is fucking suxzor so imma wait it out, but the can of soda idea is awesome with everything else included
                        Originally posted by evandael
                        a car is a car. call it a dildo, i'd still drive the hell out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                          Good to hear you're ok. But i thought that when drilling a shock that was under pressure, that common sense would say stand back for the pressure to be released!
                          I saw the title and was forming this in my mind. Thanks for typing it...and thanks for the HARD LAUGHING OP.

Glad you are safe, I used a full face shield when I did mine. Some mist still got it, tasted bad. I then added a dust mask to the combo, solved it.
                          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                          ~ '87 535
                          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

one time i was wearing just safety googles and had to matrix dodge a stream of that shit. Ever since I wrap the fucker in lots of rags and wear at minimum a full face shield, and really shitty clothes. Scary story though, and thanks for sharing with everybody. Glad you're okay. Would be a pretty dumb reason to die, haha

Comment

Originally posted by kway View Post
                              Small drill bit was your biggest mistake, the oil wouldn't have come out with such force with a larger one.
                              Exactly what I was thinking. When I did mine, I used a small bit to make a dimple, then switched to a bit over twice that size to make the actual puncture. When I compressed them after the holes were drilled, they shot a stream of oil the whole length of my driveway! :)
                              Jason

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                                waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles. :rofl:
                                LOL :rofl:

I see what you did there
                                Last edited by mrsleeve; 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM.
                                Originally posted by Fusion
                                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X