Do you <3 electric cars ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
    You still haven't explained where you're going to find the hydrogen. Also, how often do you drive 400 miles in a day? Every day... once a week... once a month?

This is going to end well.
    And you still haven't had anything to add to this argument. You realize, even though its not on the market, there are hydrogen cars around you? No Hindenburgs yet. Probably because they package it a little better. BMW has been doing it, AUDI has been doing it and Honda has a partnership with Shell to service Southern California.

Hydrogen can be made anywhere, it literally takes just electricity and water. Maybe if you actually did any research instead of just posting a stupid picture you might know that already. You can, quite literally, make it at your desk. Get this, its also the most abundant element in the known universe.

As for the 400 miles a day, that was a moronic argument. Here is a thought, drive 400 miles once, to grandma's house. No gasoline, this is a future without gasoline because its going to become stupid expensive. How do you get there in your electric car. The leaf gets AT BEST like 80 miles. Shit, people in the burbs do that in a day often, and that is if you aren't running the AC, lights or have a lead foot. So, its ONLY a city runabout.

The practical range of a hydrogen car is unlimited as long as their are fueling stations, which only exist in socal and on specific fleet lots, but that can easily change.

As for energy density, its lower by volume but greater by weight. Meaning in economies of scale its much cheaper to move around this planet. Now, its admitted that you would need a larger tank than gasoline (stored compressed, not as a liquid) to get the same range but a bucket could hold the range of a battery car, carrying considerably more mass in batteries.

Oh and this is not hydrogen powered but still burned:

So its not really any more dangerous than we today as long as we take some very simple precautions.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      And you own an E30 why?
      Because I love to drive. I'd much rather be out feeling the g-forces than greasy, sweaty, and cursing at inanimate objects.

Comment

H2 36,000 BTU per liquid gallon Weight .6 lbs/gallon

Ethanol 85,000 BTU per liquid gallon

Gas 126,000 BTU average per liquid gallon (depending additives package varies a little) 6.1 lbs to the gallon

Diesel 134,000 BUT average per liquid gallon 7.3 lbs/gal

Takes energy to move shit, the more energy you can store in a compact and reasonably stable package the better. This is why H2, electric are not going to be able to compete until petroleum is somehow abolished
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

The volt looks good. I saw one on the Pike Monday.
          Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            H2 36,000 BTU per liquid gallon Weight .6 lbs/gallon

Ethanol 85,000 BTU per liquid gallon

Gas 126,000 BTU average per liquid gallon (depending additives package varies a little) 6.1 lbs to the gallon

Diesel 134,000 BUT average per liquid gallon 7.3 lbs/gal

Takes energy to move shit, the more energy you can store in a compact and reasonably stable package the better. This is why H2, electric are not going to be able to compete until petroleum is somehow abolished
            well it is a more efficient system so you can't just look at those numbers and conclude that for a "gallon" of H2 you can go 1/4th the distance of a gallon of gas. I am sure you already knew that, but for the people that didn't, keep that in mind.
            "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

i like that they save gas for my e30 to burn

The Build:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.

Comment

^

hahahahahahahahahaha thats prolly best way of putting it I have ever heard.

Originally posted by E30Kaiser View Post
                  well it is a more efficient system so you can't just look at those numbers and conclude that for a "gallon" of H2 you can go 1/4th the distance of a gallon of gas. I am sure you already knew that, but for the people that didn't, keep that in mind.
                  well yes in a fuel cell car you are correct in a standard IC engine, that is set up to run on H2 that is absolutely the case. The point still remains though there is not even close to the amount of stored energy in H2 for an equal amount of petroleum, there for the work that can be extracted is far less. But I am not delusional an IC is only 40% efficient at converting its potential to useable work at its best.

I am not up on the Fuel cell car tech, but they are not even close to gallon H2 to a gallon of conventional fuel/engine work for work are they?????
                  Last edited by mrsleeve; 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                    haha that's awesome

The Build:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

gas powered ftw. hydro-electric...eh. if it happens it happens but i'll do what i can to keep my petrol powered autos til i die.

Comment

I dont like electric cars simply for the fact that there is no noise which imo is a big part enjoying the driving experience for me. The thought of driving a car and rev matching without the sounds that accompany it makes me sad. Hell when driving go karts I hate places with electric karts.
                        Originally posted by blunttech
                        Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                        :shock:

Comment

There is no rev matching. It's like a big RC car.
                          Like I wrote in the Volt thread, I've driven one, it's not bad (for a DD) but at the moment you cannot justify the price. What you save in fuel, you lose in battery price.
                          Unless you're a major tree hugger.

Comment

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
                            gas powered ftw. hydro-electric...eh. if it happens it happens but i'll do what i can to keep my petrol powered autos til i die.
                            Gas ftl, it's incredibly inefficient and if more people were willing to change instead of this attitude greener vehicles could be a reality. I like my e30 too, but I'd like it a hell of a lot more if I didn't have to burn through so much gas with it.

Comment

Do you not like it in terms of the technilogy or in ters of the price you have to pay?

Comment

I like them from the standpoint that they are better for our country as we can always build more non-fossil fuel powerplants, we can't build more oil reserves or coal deposits.
                                "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

Working...
                                X