Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's make an E30 M3! (M3 S14 cabrio clone project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly. Saved all the photos lol
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Monthly bump
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Funny came to see updates...That M3 vert is listed at Buy Now at 93K
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
          Funny came to see updates...That M3 vert is listed at Buy Now at 93K
          well, were getting SOME kind of updates haha wrong M3 vert though haha
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

bump :)
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Hey gang, getting back to this after some much needed time away from the project. My winter hobby is incredibly fun and I couldn't quite tear myself away any sooner.

Here's where I stand: due to work, family obligations, etc I don't have the time to finish the bodywork and paint myself like I intended. I have been referred to a local shop that can do the work to my standards and I will be partnering with them to finish the exterior.
              After that, I have a few issues on my shortlist to sort out:
              • New soft top
              • Refit air conditioning
              • Refit factory stereo equipment

I also have one annoying electrical gremlin that I haven't been able to trace: the windows and HVAC stop working after the car has run for a little while. I am thinking it has something to do with the unloader relay circuit as this is an early motor in a late chassis. A swap which rarely gets done, so I haven't found a lot of info - if you have any ideas please help!

So, that's it for now. I'll keep you all updated as the car gets ready for paint. Thanks for inspiring me to finish this, all!
              Last edited by IronJoe; 07-15-2019, 11:19 AM.
              '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Starter solenoid. Would put money on that being your culprit. Glad to see some forward progress being made again!!!
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                  Starter solenoid. Would put money on that being your culprit. Glad to see some forward progress being made again!!!
                  Thanks Austin based on the reading I've been doing I think you're right. Might shoot you a text about this ;)

Comment

Glad to see progress being made!! Do you have a good Convertible Shop to replace the soft top? I have a great shop out here in Seattle I can point you to if you need a recommendation - knowing you, you've probably already found the best!

Excited to see the progress.
                    clutchCTRL!
                    Move with a purpose.
                    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                    - 2000 323i AT
                    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

I used Convertibles Only in Seattle to replace the power top on my mom's e36 a few years back. They did an awesome job and there were some very rare and high end cars in the shop when I visited them.
                      m106 1990 e30
                      e36 daily
                      e32 cruiser

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I do have a shop in mind that I have used in the past, but also I may end up DIYing it. I did the top on my Saab myself and this one appears to be much easier as it is one piece, no stapling required.

It honestly all depends on how much $ I have leftover after the bodywork and paint.

Comment

Small update, I checked on the car today at the shop. Final prep is being done and the car should be in primer next week, possibly paint (we'll see how it goes).

Unless something catastrophic happens, we're looking good for a debut at the 2018 E30 Picnic!

Comment

Better be ready boy.
                            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                              Small update, I checked on the car today at the shop. Final prep is being done and the car should be in primer next week, possibly paint (we'll see how it goes).

Unless something catastrophic happens, we're looking good for a debut at the 2018 E30 Picnic!
                              only 2 years behind me! HAHA! I look forward to seeing your work!
                              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Mini update, we're 12 days away from the E30 Picnic and inching towards the finish line. As soon as I get it home it will be round-the-clock garage time to get it put back together before next Sunday.

The car is nice and straight with all the door dings removed and getting ready for color. I'm absolutely thrilled with how crisp all the lines turned out! The door line I was especially concerned about but it came out just perfect.

Untitled by IronJoeT16S, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X