Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Window Motor Troubleshooting

Hello,

I'm troubleshooting a power window issue on my passenger read door electric window.

Window doesn't work at all. I removed the motor from the door via the 2 t20 torx and the motor spins normally in both directions.

I am able to move the window up and down by hand when the motor is removed and its a fairly easy uniform pressure task.

When I bolt the motor back into the door it won't turn, I can hear it click initially when I push the button but no other noise as if its spnning. . == If I unbolt the motor but hold it in place while I push the up/down button it will move the window part way, sometimes all the way down but always stalls on the way up.

If I put even slight lateral pressure on the spinning worm gear while its spinning when the motor is removed it will stop spinning. I'm wondering if somehow the motor spindle is slightly misaligned when in the door so that there is just enough lateral pressure on the spindle to stop it from being able to turn? or some bearing in the motor is shot?

Has anyone else experienced issues like this with an old motor? Is there any option other than replacing the motor?

Any other troubleshooting steps I can take to further diagnose?

Thanks

Sounds to me like the motor is worn out. Can you try it with a new motor or swap in one from another door?

Comment

I’ll try one from another door. Are all doors the same motors? I have a 4 door eta.

Comment

It's probably all corroded inside. Either open it up and clean or swap in a known working. News ones are expensive.

EDIT: It's also possible if it was opened before the tabs in the bottom were folded down too much and it's got too much friction.
        Last edited by locar; 05-28-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X