No announcement yet.

Project Armo "330i" M-tech 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing project. Thanks for documenting it so well.

I'm wondering why you couldn't just use the flywheel from an E46 330i GS6-37BZ that has the pilot bearing in it - wouldn't that solve your issue?

Also, is that a 55L fuel tank? What are you doing for the fuel return?

Comment

Originally posted by thedivision View Post
      Amazing project. Thanks for documenting it so well.

I'm wondering why you couldn't just use the flywheel from an E46 330i GS6-37BZ that has the pilot bearing in it - wouldn't that solve your issue?

Also, is that a 55L fuel tank? What are you doing for the fuel return?
      Yeah, I could have used the 330i flywheel but I have a perfectly fine 328i dual mass so I'll use that for now. Later I'll most likely move on to solid flywheel. I'm shelling out quite a lot of cash for various parts and to keep the budget manageable I need to make some compromises initially. For that reason as well as to have the car running in reasonably near future, I'm not going all out with the engine yet. The first setup will be a stock B28 block and internals, new chains, belts and seals, serviced head with new valve guides and seals, cleaned and checked lifters and cams swapped for a pair of bit hotter ones. For intake I'm going with ITBs and most likely updated injectors and an E85 tune.

Later, when the car is running and driving I'll rebuild the engine with the B30 crank, high compression, solid flywheel, sprung clutch, perhaps lightweight lifters, new damper and so forth.

The tank is a 55 l one. The tank is a fuel injection type so it has a small bowl in the bottom around the fuel pump intake to avoid fuel starvation while cornering. I have a fuel sender for a 55l fuel injected car so it has a return line unlike a 62l one.
      Last edited by Skarpa; 05-19-2018, 01:50 AM.
      E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Originally posted by Skarpa View Post
        Yeah, I could have used the 330i flywheel but I have a perfectly fine 328i dual mass so I'll use that for now. Later I'll most likely move on to solid flywheel. I'm shelling out quite a lot of cash for various parts and to keep the budget manageable I need to make some compromises initially. For that reason as well as to have the car running in reasonably near future, I'm not going all out with the engine yet. The first setup will be a stock B28 block and internals, new chains, belts and seals, serviced head with new valve guides and seals, cleaned and checked lifters and cams swapped for a pair of bit hotter ones. For intake I'm going with ITBs and most likely updated injectors and an E85 tune.

Later, when the car is running and driving I'll rebuild the engine with the B30 crank, high compression, solid flywheel, sprung clutch, perhaps lightweight lifters, new damper and so forth.

The tank is a 55 l one. The tank is a fuel injection type so it has a small bowl in the bottom around the fuel pump intake to avoid fuel starvation while cornering. I have a fuel sender for a 55l fuel injected car so it has a return line unlike a 62l one.
        I found this interesting... you may also want to consider the fuel pump assembly from an M40/M42 coupe/sedan (not vert). They had the old 55L tank, but a high pressure in-tank pump. Both feed and return lines are 8mm, unlike the low pressure housing. Part # 16141180233. Should be a drop in conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by thedivision View Post
          I found this interesting... you may also want to consider the fuel pump assembly from an M40/M42 coupe/sedan (not vert). They had the old 55L tank, but a high pressure in-tank pump. Both feed and return lines are 8mm, unlike the low pressure housing. Part # 16141180233. Should be a drop in conversion.

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure that's actually what I have but I need to measure the inlet and outlet. I wasn't aware that the low pressure in-tank pump had a different fuel sender. Live and learn. Here's a quote of my old post regarding the fuel pump:

Today I tackled the fuel pump. I bought a used fuel pump assembly from a fuel injected car to get the tank sensor and the fuel pump mount. The pump is supposed to be in working order as well but I had already bought a 255 lph Walbro so that's what I'll use. It's an unused one so I know where I stand with it.

Walbro and the stock pump are shaped differently at the bottom and the pump mount required some filing to accommodate the filter.

I cut a piece of 5mm rubber under the pump for vibration insulation.

I also wrapped the pump in rubber and fixed it with two hose clamps.

After thinking about it for a moment I realized that it's never going to fit through the tank hole like this. I removed the rubber and the clamps and the pump still seems to sit there pretty firmly. I think that's the way the original pump is mounted as well. I soldered new wires for the connectors. I had cut the originals to remove the connectors to re-plate the pump mount.

Ready to stick into tank.
          PS. I'm not 100 percent sure my walbro is rated for E85 but we shall see how long it lasts.
          Last edited by Skarpa; 05-23-2018, 11:22 AM.
          E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

To an untrained eye these may look like a pair of headers but actually they are an elementary level lesson in TIG welding. In other words I welded on the v-band connectors, O2 sensor bungs and the flexible bellow. Towards the end it felt like I was getting the hang of it. I think I'll still cut off and fill in the original O2 sensor bungs. They are idiotically placed considering they should receive gasses equally from all cylinders.

I was going to continue practicing on the exhaust pipe but the winds of fate changed. Today at work a welding subcontractor came to do a bigger welding project but the transport company lost 400 kg of steel so he didn't have anything to do and welded together my exhaust pipe as a pastime.

I can't complain. Doing one seam a day during the lunch breaks it would have taken me a month to finish the exhaust. Lets hope that it fits the car also. I know that tacking the whole thing together and then welding it all at once is a bit risky. But at least now I has a better chance than if I had welded it myself. A professional welder has quite a lot steadier hand than me and the heat input is more even.

I have lost one of the flanges for the center connection so I made one out of stainless steel flat bar.

Otherwise it's good but one of the holes wandered a bit off when drilling.
            Last edited by Skarpa; 05-27-2018, 12:57 AM.
            E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Edit: Duplicate post
              E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Lately I haven't made much visible progress on the car. More preparing sort of work. I drilled the holes for the driver's side strut tower reinforcement pipe and prepared the pipe as well as the gusset piece according to the passenger side pieces. I made dimples around the holes using a piece of pipe, a hammer and a large socket.

When drilling the holes for the pipe I noticed that the underside of the ffuse box was not as pristine as I thought.

All of this was well hidden under a layer of undercoating and looked just fine. On the engine bay side you couldn't really see anything was wrong even after removing the seam sealer. I cut off the whole section. At least that should make welding the reinforcement pipe quite a lot easier.

I primered everything with weld through primer to get some protection to the places that will be hard to reach later. When I have the pipes in place, before welding the gussets I'll epoxy paint the area that the gussets will cover.

I think I'll move the engine to my work place to get it clean with a hot water pressure washer. There I can also service the engine and do everything I need to do to just be able to drop it in the car. I already bolted on the flywheel and the clutch but I think I'll need to remove them to mount the engine in an engine stand and to be able to replace the crankshaft rear seal. Earlier I also bolted on the transmission and noticed that the bolt holes in the tranny don't match with the ones in the E34 oilpan. I drilled new holes in the transmission flange. They were quite conveniently located in relation to the stiffening ribs.

I also marked and drilled the ring bolt holes in the 3-piece TRX prototype. Marking the holes was very easy when I printed the hole pitch in 1:1 scale and just punched through the paper.

The next step was self evident.

12,5" width

:D Or maybe not. Although I do follow a guy on youtube who is building a widebody E30 with DIY 12,5" style 5 rear wheels and an S52 turbo engine.
                I build some monster 3 piece BBS wheels today by hand for the e30, using mostly tools we all have. Today I show you the basic of polishing from paint to mirr...
                Last edited by Skarpa; 06-09-2018, 11:49 AM.
                E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Lately I haven't made much visible progress on the car. More preparing sort of work. I drilled the holes for the driver's side strut tower reinforcement pipe and prepared the pipe as well as the gusset piece according to the passenger side pieces. I made dimples around the holes using a piece of pipe, a hammer and a large socket.

When drilling the holes for the pipe I noticed that the underside of the ffuse box was not as pristine as I thought.

All of this was well hidden under a layer of undercoating and looked just fine. On the engine bay side you couldn't really see anything was wrong even after removing the seam sealer. I cut off the whole section. At least that should make welding the reinforcement pipe quite a lot easier.

I primered everything with weld through primer to get some protection to the places that will be hard to reach later. When I have the pipes in place, before welding the gussets I'll epoxy paint the area that the gussets will cover.

I think I'll move the engine to my work place to get it clean with a hot water pressure washer. There I can also service the engine and do everything I need to do to just be able to drop it in the car. I already bolted on the flywheel and the clutch but I think I'll need to remove them to mount the engine in an engine stand and to be able to replace the crankshaft rear seal. Earlier I also bolted on the transmission and noticed that the bolt holes in the tranny don't match with the ones in the E34 oilpan. I drilled new holes in the transmission flange. They were quite conveniently located in relation to the stiffening ribs.

I also marked and drilled the ring bolt holes in the 3-piece TRX prototype. Marking the holes was very easy when I printed the hole pitch in 1:1 scale and just punched through the paper.

The next step was self evident.

12,5" width

:D Or maybe not. Although I do follow a guy on youtube who is building a widebody E30 with such rear wheels and S52 turbo engine.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl44RAVWap8
                  Now those are a sweet idea!
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Passenger's side stiffening tube welded.

I'll need to tidy up some of the seam a bit once I borrow a straight grinder from work. At the moment I'm on a summer vacation.

Insted of rushing to do the driver's side tube I decided to take care of a sore spot that sticks in my eye whenever I look that way ie. the right front corner of the engine bay and wheel well. Rust has bitten it's ugly teeth in the overlapping seams.

I cut off the rust and repaired the holes in the horizontal panel.

Then I made a patch for the vertical panel according to a paper template.

It fits as if someone made it to fit. The welding part was made a bit more complicated by the fact that there was some tension in the wheel well and it sprung to a new shape when I cut off the rust. So while welding I needed to return and tension the parts back into the original shape.

It's nice to see that I've become a bit faster in body work and was able to take care of a couple of complex welding jobs during one evening at the garage.
                    E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Your Welding is looking much better
                      We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post
                        Your Welding is looking much better
                        Thanks, I've noticed the same and am pleased.
                        E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

This project has been going somewhat slow lately what with all the other things in the life getting in the way but now the strut braces are welded in and the the fuse box area repaired.

E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Now that the rear corners of the engine bay are taken care of it was time to move to the front frame. That's hopefully the last area of the body where I need to replace sheet metal because of rust (on this round). On closer inspection it was luckily a lot less rusty than I thought. There was quite a lot of surface rust but not that much deeper corrosion so phosphoric acid will take care of most of the spots.

However, the inner panel of the bottom beam was pretty rusty so I removed it.

Patch panel taking shape:

The old panel had the bottom brackets of the radiator that are now needless. It also had various stiffening ribs. I don't have a bead roller and for a moment I contemplated on making dies for oblong ribs but then I got lazy and decided to do just a pattern of dimpled holes. I used the hole near the hood lock as a guide.

The dies were a pretty fast job on a lathe.

The process worked exactly as planned.

On hindsight the dimples could maybe have been a bit bigger or there could have been four on each side but that's nitpicking considering how happy I am with the dimples and the fact that practically no one will see the panel after the radiator is in place. It will be easy to modify the dies if I want to change the size of the dimple for some possible future job.
                            Last edited by Skarpa; 07-10-2018, 08:02 PM.
                            E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

I've just spent the last few days reading through your thread. Your work and ideas are really impressive, keep it going that way :D

Comment

Originally posted by geckster View Post
                                I've just spent the last few days reading through your thread. Your work and ideas are really impressive, keep it going that way :D
                                Thanks! I still have a few tricks up my sleeve...
                                ... Also an awesome idea for a future project once this one is done. Can't live without at least one forever project going on.
                                E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Working...
                                X