Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry sump it.

Comment

Im pretty sure somebody found a bolt in solution for the trans bracket.

Another option for the oil pan is an modified subframe. Thats what the N52 swap is using. There are no front sump pans for this engine.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        Im pretty sure somebody found a bolt in solution for the trans bracket.

Another option for the oil pan is an modified subframe. Thats what the N52 swap is using. There are no front sump pans for this engine.
        last post I did shows Arc Asylum subframe.
        I'm good on the suggestions nando, thanks however. This build thread is for those who want to see what I'm doing personally. I'm trying to keep this thread clean this time, Not interested in a transmission mount that has been mocked up with a different engine. Makes zero sense. Kindly and simply put, I don't need any guidance on my build.

Comment

Happy 1,000 posts to me..

Comment

Sorry for the screenshots.

These pictures are from a kind gentleman in Latvia. He converted his N54 pan to front sump, and as a result his N54 sits in a more "stock" position if you may will.

The patch

fitment

He was able to fit the stock turbos, and the intake clears the brake booster.
            Be interesting to see the downpipe for the reversed facing turbo...

Comment

Looking forward to the build. I am just finishing the N52 swap I started last year. Let me know if I can provide any photo's /clearances.

Once nice thing with the N54 is the aluminum block....it will allow you to use steel motor mounts which are a lot easier to fab up than aluminum.

Oil pan is your first hurdle....if the N54 is the same as N52 with no dipstick, I recommend adding a npt port to fit an aftermarket dipstck. Wish I had thought of it at the time, and will probably add next year. Old school is a much better solution in this case!

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
                Looking forward to the build. I am just finishing the N52 swap I started last year. Let me know if I can provide any photo's /clearances.

Once nice thing with the N54 is the aluminum block....it will allow you to use steel motor mounts which are a lot easier to fab up than aluminum.

Oil pan is your first hurdle....if the N54 is the same as N52 with no dipstick, I recommend adding a npt port to fit an aftermarket dipstck. Wish I had thought of it at the time, and will probably add next year. Old school is a much better solution in this case!
                Hey thank you for chiming in! I've skimmed your thread before, cool stuff man! I'll certainly let you know if I have any questions since you're someone that has actually touched an N5x, and an E30 at the same time. there's maybe 3, or 4 others aside from us that have gotten down to the nitty gritty.

I have an Everlast 210ext tig/mig digital inverter that kicks ass, I finally grabbed an argon tank, and just a few items from laying beads. Engine mounts will be cake with how many bosses we have on the n52/n54 blocks.

A dipstick is something that even the e9x/e8x guys have bitched about since 07. I wont be putting in a dipstick because I really don't care.. lol that's honestly the only reason, Ill just trust the cluster. :giggle:

If everything goes how it is now, I might not even have to touch the oil pan If it does need to be modified, its BARELY any, and its aluminum so its all good in the n54 hood.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                  last post I did shows Arc Asylum subframe.
                  I'm good on the suggestions nando, thanks however. This build thread is for those who want to see what I'm doing personally. I'm trying to keep this thread clean this time, Not interested in a transmission mount that has been mocked up with a different engine. Makes zero sense. Kindly and simply put, I don't need any guidance on my build.
                  Uhh, OK. I was trying to give helpful advice, and all of it was correct. Not sure what the deal with your attitude is - the engine type makes no difference, it's the same transmission (they both have the same angle and basic bolt pattern BTW), and I knew of an 'easy' solution - thought you would like to know.

Also, I'm one of those "few" people who have actually contributed to making an N5x engine run in car other than a late model BMW. In fact, I'm literally the only person who has made the DME run totally standalone (no EWS, CAN, etc). Everyone else has had to transplant the entire harness and required modules.

I'd love to collaborate on the N54 DME & your swap, if you're interested. But if you want do be a dick.. it's up to you.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Kindly and simply put, I don't need any guidance on my build.

wow im so impressed. dick.
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      Uhh, OK. I was trying to give helpful advice, and all of it was correct. Not sure what the deal with your attitude is - the engine type makes no difference, it's the same transmission (they both have the same angle and basic bolt pattern BTW), and I knew of an 'easy' solution - thought you would like to know.

Also, I'm one of those "few" people who have actually contributed to making an N5x engine run in car other than a late model BMW. In fact, I'm literally the only person who has made the DME run totally standalone (no EWS, CAN, etc). Everyone else has had to transplant the entire harness and required modules.

I'd love to collaborate on the N54 DME & your swap, if you're interested. But if you want do be a dick.. it's up to you.
                      From page three you've done nothing but come in here and try to make corrections, followed by me having to post pictures of diagrams, and explain items just to have a proper conversation, so yes I'm going to be a bit stern about having the same style of commentary commence.
                      I said kindly, and "thanks", if that's your definition of being a "DICK" then I have no problem being one.
                      Hard to imagine/assume emotions, and tone over text wouldn't you agree? Dont perceive everything I say as negative.

I may have been stern, and that's because we are picking up on the same style as we were 2 years ago,
                      and simply do not want to have to sound as if I'm correcting someone just because I'm doing something different, and here we go again.

Not modifying the pan which means that other braces will NOT work for my application,
                      the brace is spotted in a different location further back. No doubt the general angles are the same, but location,location,location.

I never said I was looking to source a front sump to begin with, I simply gave options to those who are reading.
                      As shown, front sump conversion isn't that bad, and has been done before with different engines.

Congrats on your on the whole standalone thing and I absolutely mean that.
                      It doesn't mean you've sat behind the physical parts of an n54 swap and seen the clearances/measurements,
                      yet you've come in here on multiple occasion as if you have a completed swap in your garage;
                      That attitude spans multiple pages back on this very thread, and a large majority of it is me posting
                      actual photos, diagrams, and proof. (that photobucket has held ransom for now)

Let me flop that one back your way since I wasn't a dick to begin with.. :D
                      I may not be interested in your standalone, but for the sake of development I would absolutely send you
                      up either/both msd80, and msd81 dme's but I don't have even an ounce of interest
                      in doing work with someone who has already thrown rocks at windows expecting noise not to be made.
                      I have both msd80, and msd81 both just sitting here however.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                      wow im so impressed. dick.
                      on the internet? no way.. :grin:
                      Things started out fine and dandy on page 3, but hey if you have suggestions on how to fit an N54 from atlanta I'm game, whatchu know?
                      Last edited by the imitator; 05-18-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

From page three you've done nothing but come in here and try to make corrections, followed by me having to post pictures of diagrams, and explain items just to have a proper conversation, so yes I'm going to be a bit stern about having the same style of commentary commence.
                        I said kindly, and "thanks", if that's your definition of being a "DICK" then I have no problem being one.
                        Hard to imagine/assume emotions, and tone over text wouldn't you agree? Dont perceive everything I say as negative.

I may have been stern, and that's because we are picking up on the same style as we were 2 years ago,
                        and simply do not want to have to sound as if I'm correcting someone just because I'm doing something different, and here we go again.

Not modifying the pan which means that other braces will NOT work for my application,
                        the brace is spotted in a different location further back. No doubt the general angles are the same, but location,location,location.

I never said I was looking to source a front sump to begin with, I simply gave options to those who are reading.
                        As shown, front sump conversion isn't that bad, and has been done before with different engines.
                        All I said was there is no front-sump pan from the factory. I didn't give any opinions at all, or even suggest what you should do - it was just FYI. Same with pretty much every other post I've made in this thread, which haven't really even been a lot.

Congrats on your on the whole standalone thing and I absolutely mean that.
                        It doesn't mean you've sat behind the physical parts of an n54 swap and seen the clearances/measurements,
                        yet you've come in here on multiple occasion as if you have a completed swap in your garage;
                        No, I haven't completed mine yet, and I never suggested that I have. It doesn't mean I don't know anything about it. There's a good reason I haven't finished my own swap yet - I've literally spent the last several years building software so that other people can do their swaps (or tune their own cars). I wanted to be the first E30 N52 swap, but I ended up helping other people do it - unfortunately, I just don't have time to work on my E30 a lot these days. So I get to live vicariously through guys like you. ;)

That attitude spans multiple pages back on this very thread, and a large majority of it is me posting
                        actual photos, diagrams, and proof. (that photobucket has held ransom for now)
                        What attitude? I've literally done nothing but try to be helpful, so I'm confused by the animosity. I'd still think it would be awesome if you complete it.

Let me flop that one back your way since I wasn't a dick to begin with.. :D
                        I may not be interested in your standalone, but for the sake of development I would absolutely send you
                        up either/both msd80, and msd81 dme's but I don't have even an ounce of interest
                        in doing work with someone who has already thrown rocks at windows expecting noise not to be made.
                        I have both msd80, and msd81 both just sitting here however.
                        I didn't throw rocks. I literally didn't even say anything other than "hey, this other guy found a trans brace that is bolt in that might work", as in, "this information might be helpful to you, it might not, but hey cool swap I'd like to see you complete it".

BTW, I've been working on a swap since 2011. I hope to finish by 2020. :p
                        Last edited by nando; 05-18-2018, 09:48 PM.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Gonna make this easy on everyone here.
                          Page three is where the swap Information starts to Flow, please verify the information as posted and read post for post.

There may be a final update, not sure yet.
                          Have a good one folks.

Comment

Bye.

Comment

If you weren't looking for guidance or feedback on your build then maybe the forum platform isn't the best place for you. Perhaps maybe Instagram or Facebook is more your style?
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                                If you weren't looking for guidance or feedback on your build then maybe the forum platform isn't the best place for you. Perhaps maybe Instagram or Facebook is more your style?

This isn't a "guide my build" subforum, sorry.. "feedback" on my course of action is totally awesome.

The one, and only person giving me "guidance" is someone I've had to correct with documentation my entire build, sorry you have an issue with that. Want to know who I've asked advice from? Karlis, Pav, haken, People that have direct experience.

If I had questions about standalone, or delete related subjects regarding msv/msd dme's who do you think I'd ask? The dude with the most experience. Not a hard concept to grasp.
                                I'll only make an instagram account if you promise to follow me! ;)
                                Last edited by the imitator; 05-21-2018, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X