No announcement yet.

Sina's Classic Peugeot Restoration Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, my dad just sent me a photocopy of the last quote I got - from a highly reputable place in town, with the shop owner who owns a really nice v10 m5, and is a thoroughbred Bimmer head. Really nice guy. He quoted me $1400 for getting the rear entirely fixed (not paint, etc..)

Sound fair to you guys?

I think I might have the rear fixed, then bring it back home during most of the summer, gut the interior, and have some of my dad's friend's mexican bro's paint the car top to bottom.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Sounds fair, even a bit on the low side (depending on what he is doing, just getting it straight? replacing it? any body work?)....have you seen his work?
      -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Based on what i've seen people quoted and have been quoted myself that seems like a good deal if he does a good job.

Is he going to cut it out or straighten it?
        Last edited by Vivek; 06-08-2012, 12:36 AM. Reason: added a word
        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
          Thank you auto body master Vivi.
          Isn't past your bedtime, Lil' baby Vivi?
          fucking LOL

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

there is no way to correctly "save" that panel. please. the only way to do that job correctly is to replace the rear quarter, and after pulling the old off- see what else needs to be replaced. Any saving is just hack work that will look like crap i a few years after all the filler starts cracking and rust gets in there.

different story if there is no replacement panel avail.

Comment

You can't afford afford what it would cost to have "a good metal guy" fix and save that.

Beyond just getting the panel back to it's orginal intended shape, you still need to shrink the metal because it has streached (just like a t shirt does) from the accident. You will never be able to get it back 100% like it was before without some form of filler. You have metal.streach in too many directions.

In therory, if you were to metal finish that job, you are looking at around $4k without paint. I do metal finish work and I would not touch that without a replacement panel.

The people who are telling you "a good metal guy could fix that and save the panel" are straight talking out their ass and have no idea about collision work. Besides the rear quarter skin, there is most likely damage to your trunk floor, the rear rail is probably moved up or down, it needs at least a tail light pocket if not a rear tail light panel, the trunk may be tweeked, it might need a pass side hinge too, the pass side bumper mount may be tweeked and it may need a bumper, there is also damage to the rear inner fender.

All that is based on experience, and that is just.from looking
                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I disagree...the right guy could fix that.

The metal on this cuda...saved and it's in a lot worse shape

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

^if that metal was "saved"-- I am sure it is going to look like every other bondo bucket crappy restoration in 10 years.

I thought I was that car on some TV program, and they replaced all of the panels on it.

Comment

You obviously have not seen some true professional body men work and do things right and assume because its crunched means there gonna get it half straight and load it with bondo.

That's easily a 70+ k resto for a car worth near 100k

There is nothing wrong with using bondo correctly...I don't mean a whole bucket but the only way your getting an older car laser straight is by using bondo...again very little and correctly.

I'm trying to find it but there's another guy on my other forum that did a Daytona or super bird that was burnt to a crisp. Saved and looking great....and no not a bondo bucket especially on a car worth 150k

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                        You can't afford afford what it would cost to have "a good metal guy" fix and save that.

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                        I disagree...the right guy could fix that.

The metal on this cuda...saved and it's in a lot worse shape

Apples and oranges, it's all about money. That Plymouth is a 6 figure car, the Peugeot is a 4 figure car.

A good metal guy could turn that cuda into a giant metal penis but that doesn't make it a good idea.

der affe's point (which is correct) is that panel replacement is the best way forward for OP given the circumstances.
                        Last edited by LJ851; 06-08-2012, 08:57 AM.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

It may have been saved, but what was the labor cost? I see some pretty good rust on the rear package tray, are we to believe they waved a magic wand and did not replace that metal?

I have news for you since you don't seem to have any first hand knowledge of hi end restorations especially on american muscle cars and hot rods. They float the whole damn car before they paint it along with adding metal rods to the door edges to even out the gaps. Floating the cars when you wipe the whole car with filler and block it flat before you prime it not to fill dents, but to get a flat panel. Coddington did it, Foose does it, they all do it.

Unless Dick Landy put those dents in that cudda with his hard on, there is no good reason to save it and not replace it.
                          seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Lol my chargers getting a full restore...I'm fully aware of the labor needed.

And yes my chargers getting a skim coat of bondo and blocked so its laser straight..its a requirement because otherwise you'll never have it perfectly straight. They block it down to nearly nothing but it makes a huge difference.

I'm not arguing the cost I'm just arguing the fact it *could be saved.

Edit: lmao on the dl comment. And I agree. The bottom line is with rare muscle the more original metal you can save the more the car is worth to some. I could care less as long as its done right.

I'm not disagreeing, it should be replaced. I'm simply saying if needed it could be saved..I have no idea how easy or hard it is to find a replacement panel so just informing the op the right guy could save it if need be.

Comment

%80 of you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                                %80 of you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about
                                I'm pretty sure you're included in that 80%.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                                VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Working...
                                X