Ceramic Coat m42 headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic Coat m42 headers

I've got a spare e30 318is exhaust and I was considering ceramic coating the headers to reduce the overall under the hood temperature. But I'm wondering if it would make much of a difference. I believe the OEM headers are cast iron, unlike most of the aftermarket headers which are stainless steel. If so, they shouldn't get hot enough under normal driving to warrant coating or wrapping them. What does r3v think?
    sigpic
    January 2012 COTM

My data point is coming from dailying my little 2002. Started with the stock cast-iron manifold. Engine was fine, but sometimes a bit on the warm side. Installed a ceramic-coated steel "shorty" header and recorded 8-12 degree drops in the engine bay.

My two cents, the ceramic coating is a great way to lower underhood temps even when compared to the already-pretty-heat-tolerant cast iron manifolds.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

yeah ceramic coating works well on thin walled stainless, i dont see why it wouldn't benefit a cast iron manifold. at worst the benefit is not as great as with stainless but it still looks really good so not a huge loss
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Do it

-
        Project
        Parts for Sale
        Feedback
        YouTube Channel

Comment

The stock M42 header isn't cast iron.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

I did it on my M42 and it made an appreciable reduction in underhood temps.

I did have some questions during one CA smog test because to the tech, the black ceramic i chose made the factory headers look aftermarket.

Comment

Those visual smog inspections are criminally stupid

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
              X