Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Racing Dynamics wood trim kit - best adhesive to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Racing Dynamics wood trim kit - best adhesive to use?

Hey guys,

I picked up a nicely preserved Racing Dynamics wood trim kit recently. It applies the wood veneers to the area around the radio / OBC, behind the steering wheel and around the headlight controls as well as across the top of the glovebox.

I wondered what you'd recommend for a good adhesive that won't completely muck up the dashboard should I ever decide to remove them. Also, double-sided tape is going to be way too thick for this application, so it likely has to be a liquid of some kind, I'd guess....

Anyway, your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=254176

I know that hot glue peels off instantly with rubbing alcohol, so maybe find a similar thinner / non-hot glue and try putting rubbing alcohol on it after it's cured. If it peels off just as easily I'd go with it. Other than that I'd suggest looking back into 3m's thin double sided tape, the rolls that I've gotten from them are really thin.

Strong bond for plastics. Prepare reports and presentations. Laminate plastic film and foam; attach gaskets to small electronics. Resists temperatures to 180 F. Clear polyester film with high tack acrylic adhesive and white paper liner.ULINE offers over 41,000 boxes, plastic poly bags, mailing tubes, warehouse supplies and bubble wrap for your storage, packaging, or shipping supplies.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

I know in the Aircraft Industry we have some double sided tape that is basically just the thickness of the glue. I believe 3M makes it. Will try and find a manufacturer.
      sigpic
      Steve Corbett
      1983 528E Scrapped
      1983 528E Sold
      1984 745I
      1984 325E - Sold
      1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
      1989 325I Zinno
      1988 635CSI

Comment

Originally posted by vtechnik View Post
        I know that hot glue peels off instantly with rubbing alcohol, so maybe find a similar thinner / non-hot glue and try putting rubbing alcohol on it after it's cured. If it peels off just as easily I'd go with it. Other than that I'd suggest looking back into 3m's thin double sided tape, the rolls that I've gotten from them are really thin.

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.c...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
        This is helpful - thanks. I looked at regular 3M double-sided today and it's just too thick.

Originally posted by Steve Corbett View Post
        I know in the Aircraft Industry we have some double sided tape that is basically just the thickness of the glue. I believe 3M makes it. Will try and find a manufacturer.
        That would be appreciated immensely! Thanks.
        Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=254176

Comment

I recently purchase carbon fiber overlays for the steering wheel on my Mini Countryman.....it came w/ a very very thin double sided tape (just as thin as scotch tape), but SUPER strong. I wish there was a name on the backside of the tape, but if I remember correctly the side I peeled off was foil-like.
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

it looks similar to this....

www.instagram.com/snwmble
            #snwmble

Current:
            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I would suggest DAP weldwood, I use it to recover steering wheels, super strong but surprisingly comes off pretty easy when it gets on the center section of the wheel which is the same material as the dash.
              Proud Owner and Operator.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X