Replacement starter has different connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement starter has different connections

Hey guys, I'm replacing my starter here. I have a 4/87 325i. Below, I have the old and new starter pictured.

The old starter (bottom) had the thick black spade and the red wire attached to the post on the right. The thin black wire was attached to the post on the bottom.

The new starter (top) has an extra post at the top. Do I hook them up in the same configuration and ignore the extra post?

OR is this the wrong starter for my car?

Do some investigation with a multi meter to see what is connected to what. The extra connection might just be a double up on another connection.

Comment

It looks like its another ground or something.
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

it is the same as the one on your old starter that you didn't take the nut off of. see the brass looking trace connecting the big copper stud to the small stud above it? that is your connection creating the link for the electricity to pass through. your old starter actually had the same trace, but its smaller, and there is no stud/nut.

just hook your wires up the same way the old one was hooked up

Comment

Working...
        X