Park brake light not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Park brake light not working

My park brake light does not illuminate when the parking brake is engaged. The light does come on when turning on the ignition, and then goes out a few seconds after starting the car.

I found the switch on the parking brake was broken, so i installed a new one but the problem persists. When grounding the switch wire, the light does not illuminate.

I don't know how to investigate this further. I have seen a lot of posts where the light won't turn off, but few where it won't turn on.

Find your year- the etk will show you how it's wired.

Bet the wire's broken...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Find your year- the etk will show you how it's wired.

Bet the wire's broken...

t
      I have the etk for 1989 (1990 is missing) and the page is 3435-0 "brake warning system". Unfortunately, I don't understand the drawing, even with the legend at the beginning of the document.

Comment

Its a pictogram that shows that the blue/grey wire is grounded (by the switch) when the parking brake is set (on) and ungrouned when the brake is off.

Comment

what is the main reason behind not working of park green light
          https://www.asussupportphonenumber.c...outer-support/

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
            Its a pictogram that shows that the blue/grey wire is grounded (by the switch) when the parking brake is set (on) and ungrounded when the brake is off.
            Since the light won't turn on by grounding the blue/grey wire at the switch, and since the light does turn on when turning on the ignition (but then turns off 3 seconds after starting the car) does that mean the "park brake" dash indicator light bulb is not burnt out, and there is some other problem with the blue/grey wire from the instrument cluster to the wire where it comes out at the parking brake? If so, how would you find the fault? This is what I don't know how to do.

Or could there be two light bulbs for the park brake indicator, one for the ignition test sequence and another, for the parking brake (which may be burnt out)?

Comment

There is only one bulb. The whole point of it turning on is to make sure the bulb isn't burned out.

You are going to have to follow the wiring from the hand brake backwards and figure out where the break/problem is. There aren't any connectors between the parking brake and the cluster, so it should be easy to find the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X