Weird M60 problem, motor jammed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird M60 problem, motor jammed???

I was driving my swap today, i came to a stop, and the car stalled out.
    When you turn the key, the starter wouldnt turn. It just goes CLUNK. CLUNK. Starter is fairly new.
    I put a wrench on the crank bolt, and the motor wouldnt turn clockwise. like it was siezed. I was able to turn the motor the other way, and i turned it counterclockwise maybe 20deg.
    Then i turned the motor clockwise again, and the motor was free to turn. The car started right up.
    Its like something jammed the motor, and i "unjammed it" by turning CCW.
    What could cause this??? Must be mechanical, I'm thinking something either in the timing system or with the clutch/flywheel.
    I have also heard a random occasional "marble in a jar" sound when driving, it happens more during braking, but its very random. (maybe something in bellhousing, during braking it gets moved towards the flywheel, and it finally jammed?

Any suggestions? I do have a flexible inspection camera/endoscope thing.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Starter?

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dothadance View Post
      Starter?

never had an issue with it before, and it started right up after i monkeyed with the crank
      We're in deep now boys
      1988 340iL - Track car
      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Idk as to why it would have just started, but mine is messed up, and sometimes it will mess up bad enough to stop my motor. And if I rock my car it will free up and be able to start again. But it usually just makes a noise for 10-15 seconds until the gear backs off the flywheel. Just a wild guess

Comment

i found a thread online that sounded similar, it was oil pump bolts on that one.
          Ive loctited those and torqed before, but who knows. car is due for an oil change anyways, but was waiting on the turner piece. may pull the lower pan.
          We're in deep now boys
          1988 340iL - Track car
          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
            never had an issue with it before, and it started right up after i monkeyed with the crank
            Not m60 related but my M10 had similar issue starter bendix seized in the forward position locking the flywheel, sprayed some Q20 few hits with a log it freed up. Drove fine for a while then the flywheel teeth broke. This is when I gave up daily driving e30s.

If it started after you turned the crank I wouldn't just think about starter look into the starter if all seems fine check the timing chain.
            I know someone with a bad tensioner and the chain slipped everytime leaving chain play on front cylinder head. This caused the motor to seize every time, roll back on the crank and he was somehow ready to go. Car ran like crap cause he was loosing timing but it didn't botter him cause he had a replacement motor on hand. I have this engine now for another project It's m60.

Comment

It’s possible that you have two separate issues. It could have stalled for several reasons but the fact that you rotated the motor backwards and then it started makes me think you have a bad starter. I’ve had several N52 cars act like they have a seized motor when what actually happened is the started engaged the flywheel but didn’t spin up. Once you rotate the engine a little they release and work fine again.

As far as the stalling goes that could be anything. I would check for vacuum leaks myself.

That’s just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Comment

I pulled the lower oil pan.
                No sparkles in the oil
                No bolts in the oil pan
                All oil pump bolts are good.
                Camera'd around in the timing system, nothing is loose or wrong looking.
                Bellhousing next.
                We're in deep now boys
                1988 340iL - Track car
                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

drove the car around, everything's fine so far, didnt lock up again, no marble noises.
                  i guess ill hit ignore until it happens again
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                  X