m60 DME mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m60 DME mount

For those of you running OBD-I m60 harnesses, where are you mounting your DME?

Mine has just been laying in my glovebox for the past 6-7 years, as I haven't been able to pull the m60 engine harness into the car for enough to mount it in my e30 318is DME mount, which is hat I was using for my m50 swap prior.

In the process of adding sound deadening and all of the factory trim panels, including the factory plastic panels above/around the glovebox, I'm left with a bit of a dilemma of where to put the damn thing. I can't get it above the upper plastic panel, and just leaving it in the glovebox seems so half ass, not to mention potentially dangerous. It's not even grounded like that.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

I don’t remember if you have the 318is cover but I’ve seen some guys hide them behind that. You could also just mount it with the connector upright and fab up your own aluminum Ebox like BMW. As long as it has a lid that over hangs with a semi decent seal it should be just fine in the engine bay.

Comment

Mine is just laying in the glovebox too. In for ideas. I was thinking about modifying the M42 mount but have yet to execute.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Add me to the "floating in the glovebox" category. I was going to build a mount to get it into the factory location, But I have never done it.
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

At this point, I'm considering drilling a few small holes in the base of the glovebox, and just bolting it to the glovebox (still inside of it). I'd use small spacers under it, so it has an air gap to help with cooling. And maybe a plastic or metal cover, again with an air gap, so nothing sits directly on it. That way I don't feel like I'm potentially killing my engine every time I reach in the damn glovebox.

I'm not sure how hot that would get, so maybe a small PC fan in the side of the glovebox would be desirable.

Comment

Mines cable tied to the factory m40 dme cage....all be it mine is a rhd so is under the dash but still managed to get enough out of the loom to attach it to the existing bracket?

Comment

Bolted to the glovebox on a piece of heatsink.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                Bolted to the glovebox on a piece of heatsink.
                Pic? If you get a chance.

Comment

gonna make a bracket one of these days to adapt to the factory mounting locations

floater club currently
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  My M60 V8 swap thread here
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

In for answer as well. My ECU is also just sitting in the glovebox... I'm not a fan but I have other things to worry about too

Comment

Working...
                    X