best tuning chip for obd1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best tuning chip for obd1

looking for advice on performance eprom for my s52 w/redtop 413 dme installed. have obd1 intake and stock airbox.
    1989 325ix(sold)
    1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

TRM Tuning has always a been popular choice. Another option is SSSquid, I have one of his chips in my car and it seems to work well.

Comment

I'm not sure who does the TRM chips now, but as far as I know, the original tuners (who were members here) left a long time ago.

I'd go with SSSquid given he's still active in the community.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Used an R-K Tuned chip when I did my swap.
        Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

I run a TRM tune on every 24v car I build. Always satisfied with the result. Turner is also another decent solution.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Zack from 22RPD.com is also really good with the OBD1 (413DME) setups. He did mine to the tune of 270whp/240ft-lbs torque for my built 3.0 M52 based motor. And that was after Jordan from RK told me the best he could do was 260whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
              Zack from 22RPD.com is also really good with the OBD1 (413DME) setups. He did mine to the tune of 270whp/240ft-lbs torque for my built 3.0 M52 based motor. And that was after Jordan from RK told me the best he could do was 260whp.
              270whp and 240ft-lbs from wheels? Please tell me how that is done because with nominal 15% drivetrain loss that is 310hp and 276ft-lbs from crank which are figures that make you the worlds best engine tuner ever. Thats 92ft-lbs per litre which would you put on the top list of most torque per litre on NA engine, beating manufacturers that have used big money and years of development for their race engines.

If that's crank hp, not whp, those numbers are more feasible. But still I would like to know what has done to the engine, because it's still not easy figure to get out of m5x based engine.

Comment

Markert Motor werks I've heard is good, but yet to see anybody else with theirs.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                  270whp and 240ft-lbs from wheels? Please tell me how that is done because with nominal 15% drivetrain loss that is 310hp and 276ft-lbs from crank which are figures that make you the worlds best engine tuner ever. Thats 92ft-lbs per litre which would you put on the top list of most torque per litre on NA engine, beating manufacturers that have used big money and years of development for their race engines.

If that's crank hp, not whp, those numbers are more feasible. But still I would like to know what has done to the engine, because it's still not easy figure to get out of m5x based engine.

Dynojet Dyno. And my math based on a 15% drivetrain loss puts it at 317/282, so 105bhp/L and 94ft/lbs-L.

Comment

Please list your engine specs.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

that's tough to swallow, but it's even an SAE chart. damn. engine must be heavily modded!
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Dynojet Dyno. And my math based on a 15% drivetrain loss puts it at 317/282, so 105bhp/L and 94ft/lbs-L.

Yeah. If you check this list, I found really hard to believe that torque number:

Hp number is ok, and I have seen even 400hp figures from m5x engines. But the RPM that it achieved is way too low to be plausible. Either the dyno calculates crank hp or it reads totally wrong.

BTW if someone is interested of that 400hp engine, you can hear it in this e9: https://youtu.be/vTvEf6oaacQ
                        I know nothing about the engine specs, but it's making that about 400hp close to 9000 RPM
                        Last edited by pazi88; 02-01-2019, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          that's tough to swallow, but it's even an SAE chart. damn. engine must be heavily modded!
                          ...or has a good engine builder ;)

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                          Yeah. If you check this list, I found really hard to believe that torque number:Hp number is ok, and I have seen even 400hp figures from m5x engines. But the RPM that it achieved is way too low to be plausible. Either the dyno calculates crank hp or it reads totally wrong.

BTW if someone is interested of that 400hp engine, you can hear it in this e9: https://youtu.be/vTvEf6oaacQ
                          I know nothing about the engine specs, but it's making that about 400hp close to 9000 RPM

Not really. I just built an s50 for a local. I stroked it using an s52 crank and installed .5mm over 11.5: pistons,+1mm valves, dual valve springs, light head work, stock cams and it made 255whp/248wtq with a 7k redline - just doing my basic power tricks and balancing everything. Dyno tuned on the stock 413 red label. Took 2 trips to the rollers since the 17lb s50 injectors ran out at about 5500rpm, installed 21lb and went back...

Click image for larger version

Name:	waynes dyno.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	7200611
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Closer to 10% drive train loss in an e30/e36. Stock e30's do 150whp bone stock fresh engine, 160+ in spec e30 trim (no accy's, .5mm over). I have dyno'd bone stock s52's and they do about 210, had one anomaly that did 219. This put the e30 at about 11% and the e36 at 12% - but without testing between an engine and chassis dynos on the same engine, it's just a guess at best.

Either way, trying to calculate BHP from WHP isn't very accurate. The 15% drive train loss is based on typical live axle car with an automatic.

Still some nice numbers, also interested in the rest of your specs.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

So you two are getting bigger torque number per litre by slapping few parts to the engine with tune. Than the best commercial engines that car companies with dozens of engineers and lot of money has come up during the years of engine development. I mean the hp numbers are you have are acheivable with m5x based engines. But max torque per litre in NA engine is limited by laws of nature...

As stock m5x based engines make 75ft-lbs per litre. And the best tuned ones 82-83 ft-lbs from crank.
                              Last edited by pazi88; 02-01-2019, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X