R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Off Topic Lounge > Politics and Religion

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM   #2506
naplesE30
E30 Mastermind

^You made my point for me. Both biased sides claim polar opposites. Where do you think the truth lies?

But Lee please use it to try to paint all Trump supporters as bigoted assholes who hate Native Americans, after all that’s what CNN is doing. Oddly, only one side is using it to raise funds. I’m sure that has nothing to do with it though.

Lee I never commented on who is the “good guy vs bad guy”. I simply posted an article and video with evidence that contradicts what CNN thought was newsworthy. According to multiple sources it was the Native American who went up to, and got in the face of the “MAGA” kids. I don’t care either way really, but feel a “truthful” news organization such as CNN ought to at the very least, check all parties before running with a story.

Last edited by naplesE30; Yesterday at 11:28 AM.
naplesE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #2507
mrsleeve
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title

^

Kinda how they all took and ran with the Buzzfeed headline, that Muller had to open his staunchly sealed yap to contradict and defend the POTUS over....
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
William Pitt-
mrsleeve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #2508
phillipj
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsleeve View Post
^

Kinda how they all took and ran with the Buzzfeed headline, that Muller had to open his staunchly sealed yap to contradict and defend the POTUS over....
Different consequences, but, yes, the sad, similar part is that you see all these other places piggy-backing on that report without doing any real investigation of their own!

I'm no defender of the President, but we've seen that a lot with the Russia-gate stories, and we just generally see it more & more as it is easier and cheaper to do; more profitable. 'Bombshells' (and sensationalism) sells more ads.

Who here has 'Bombshell' fatigue? I do. I'm very skeptical when I see that word these days.
phillipj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #2509
phillipj
Advanced Member

Does anyone here have news-sources they trust? What are they? What do you read/watch?

Does the f'd up political climate & state of rapid-headline news just want to make you tune out?
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #2510
mrsleeve

^

Well the way I see that particular situation, is the media in general took a "who cares if its true" mentality. They get to run the headlines, in all the prime time slots and prime web locations for a few hours, and the bulk of the country will see it. Damage done, that will be the narrative for a long long time in the public space. As Muller coming out of the wood work to counter that "Fake News" head line, will be a "page 6 Story" by most media outlets, and the retractions will come in at an odd hours at the very tail end of broadcasts where most people have tuned into the Bachelor, or Dancing with Nancy or some other stupid reality show, or at the very bottom of the web page with all the puff pieces on Food and relationship advice.

So yeah I guess I have had enough of Bombshells myself, Especially poorly researched rushed to press hit pieces that have 0 credibility.

WSJ used to be one of the better source and still is, but even they have gone down hill in the last few years, to the point I let my subscription go in 2016
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
William Pitt-
mrsleeve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #2511
phillipj
Advanced Member

Quote:
^

Well the way I see that particular situation, is the media in general took a "who cares if its true" mentality. They get to run the headlines, in all the prime time slots and prime web locations for a few hours, and the bulk of the country will see it. Damage done, that will be the narrative for a long long time in the public space. As Muller coming out of the wood work to counter that "Fake News" head line, will be a "page 6 Story" by most media outlets, and the retractions will come in at an odd hours at the very tail end of broadcasts where most people have tuned into the Bachelor, or Dancing with Nancy or some other stupid reality show, or at the very bottom of the web page with all the puff pieces on Food and relationship advice.

So yeah I guess I have had enough of Bombshells myself, Especially poorly researched rushed to press hit pieces that have 0 credibility.

WSJ used to be one of the better source and still is, but even they have gone down hill in the last few years, to the point I let my subscription go in 2016
+1234 That's the thing, isn't it. "Who cares if it is true" - the excuse here usually is "Well, we're just the News reporting on the News." You get this echo-chamber mess. Two other things especially bother me:

1) (Almost) no one publicly retracts or corrects their story anymore when proven untrue or mischaracterized. They just let it slide.

2) There's usually zero disclosure with corporate/political connections on certain stories or opinion pieces. Vested interests are specifically hidden from the viewer/reader.
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #2512
parkerbink
R3V OG

Send a message via AIM to parkerbink Send a message via MSN to parkerbink Send a message via Yahoo to parkerbink
Progress Report: President Trump's Campaign Promises, 2 Years Later

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/20/68653...-2-years-later

parkerbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #2513
phillipj
Advanced Member

Quote:
The 2016 primary really shook me in who I trusted, blew my mind really. Whether it was Traditional sources/papers so visibly slanting toward the Establishment or how they sensationalized Trump (and still do) for clicks. It is so disturbing/upsetting. I lost faith in everyone in 2016.

Right now I still listen to a fair bit of NPR, "Marketplace" is my favorite show as my focus is usually heavily on economics. Politically speaking, I do like the Intercept as they are not only highly critical of the President but equally critical of the Establishment Left and Right.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #2514
phillipj
Advanced Member

^^ Speaking of this exact subject, great post by The Intercept today: Beyond BuzzFeed: The 10 Worst, Most Embarrassing U.S. Media Failures on the Trump/Russia Story

I respect them because they are holding everyone's feet to the fire, right and left in our manic news-cycle. Glenn Greenwald (writing here) was the journalist that originally broke Edward Snowden's story, btw.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #2515
z31maniac

Send a message via AIM to z31maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipj View Post
Does anyone here have news-sources they trust? What are they? What do you read/watch?

Does the f'd up political climate & state of rapid-headline news just want to make you tune out?
I don't 100% trust any news source. You have to read multiple sources, on both sides, and the truth will be somewhere there in the middle.

There is no such thing as "objective" news. As even keeled as the reporter, or organization they work for may be, it's still up to the reporter/editor on what story they cover, who they interview, what quotes they use and if they explain the context of the interview/conversation.

The current news cycle does sometimes want to make me tune out, but more than that, it makes me want to read as many sources as I can to try to develop a balanced view. On an average day I probably read 50-70 news articles on various local, national, and international news.

NYT, Washington Post (and Times), LA Times, BBC, NPR, Huff Post, etc. Of course when it comes to local news, there aren't as many options. But it's easy to see the evangelicals continue to ruin my home state.

I really wish everyone on both sides would seek out differing opinions vs surrounding themselves in an echo chamber.

That goes for Republicans, Democrats, Green Party, Libertarians, etc. The inability, the outright refusal to engage in civil debate with those whom disagree with you is ruining not only this country, but society in general.

There is plenty of middle ground to be found when we all stop being assholes.

www.gutenparts.com
One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #2516
phillipj
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
I don't 100% trust any news source. You have to read multiple sources, on both sides, and the truth will be somewhere there in the middle.

There is no such thing as "objective" news. As even keeled as the reporter, or organization they work for may be, it's still up to the reporter/editor on what story they cover, who they interview, what quotes they use and if they explain the context of the interview/conversation.

The current news cycle does sometimes want to make me tune out, but more than that, it makes me want to read as many sources as I can to try to develop a balanced view. On an average day I probably read 50-70 news articles on various local, national, and international news.

NYT, Washington Post (and Times), LA Times, BBC, NPR, Huff Post, etc. Of course when it comes to local news, there aren't as many options. But it's easy to see the evangelicals continue to ruin my home state.

I really wish everyone on both sides would seek out differing opinions vs surrounding themselves in an echo chamber.

That goes for Republicans, Democrats, Green Party, Libertarians, etc. The inability, the outright refusal to engage in civil debate with those whom disagree with you is ruining not only this country, but society in general.

There is plenty of middle ground to be found when we all stop being assholes.
Right on. Certainly with you there. That being said, it can be challenging to find diversity in both people and the messaging all around you day-to-day. (I can only imagine what it is like in parts of Oklahoma.)
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #2517
z31maniac

Send a message via AIM to z31maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipj View Post
Right on. Certainly with you there. That being said, it can be challenging to find diversity in both people and the messaging all around you day-to-day. (I can only imagine what it is like in parts of Oklahoma.)
Day-to-day, sure. But we are conversing on the internet. Unfortunately, most people seek out things that reinforce what they already believe vs investigating and trying to broaden their horizons.

It's pretty easy to find people that aren't of your background on the internet. One of my closest friends is from this website. And we have very different cultural backgrounds.

OK, is very white, very "guns and bibles," etc. But I also work for one of the largest tech companies in the World (yes they have an office here). My male boss has been with his spouse for nearly 20 years. We have people from all over the country in our office, many international people in our office.

Our team alone has offices in California, OKC, Canada, London, Brno, Barcelona, Montevideo, and Manila. And that doesn't even count the people not on the Commerce team.

Sorry to come out with both barrels, and I know I'm plenty guilty of it in the past, but I'm trying to be better. I'm just tired of all the negativity on the Internet and social media. My cynical side says, "Fuck it, fuck them, fuck everyone," but I don't want to be like that anymore.

Everyone seems to be more concerned with "gotcha's" and being pedantic, than trying to understand what the other side has to say and trying to find some middle ground that we can work from.

www.gutenparts.com
One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #2518
phillipj
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
... I'm just tired of all the negativity on the Internet and social media. My cynical side says, "Fuck it, fuck them, fuck everyone," but I don't want to be like that anymore.

Everyone seems to be more concerned with "gotcha's" and being pedantic, than trying to understand what the other side has to say and trying to find some middle ground that we can work from.
Right on, Sir. I feel like that too. :cheers: