Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to: 325iX skirts and flares on a vert...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: 325iX skirts and flares on a vert...

So I've searched the shit out of Google for pics of a e30 vert with iX flares and skirts with no luck except for the one red iX photoshopped into a vert. There are several threads that talk about doing it and then the nay-sayers come in and piss all over everyones' ideas and then they give up and the thread dies.

Well, I just happened to have a vert and a 325iX body kit and a few days off.
    So, here's how I did it, suckers.

First, I took my jig-saw and cut off a large portion of the bottoms and tops of the skirts so it looked like this:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ether-D; 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Then I cut a similar amount off the flares where they would contact the rockers. Then I used a bit of regular strength double sided sticky tape and bricks to mock it up on the car.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ether-D; 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM.
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I also trimmed the flares out a bit for the body molding, just a little at a time until it was right. When I was happy with the fit, I sanded everything and then primed the whole works black. After that, I made a few brackets out of aluminum stock, drilled some holes in the end that would attach to the skirt, and JB welded them to the inside top of the skirts. The holes were so the JB weld would have more to grip to. They will be visible when screwed to the body until I cover them with some 3/4" body molding (where the oem lower molding was) from the auto parts store.

Then attached it with self drilling screws, only putting holes under where the oem molding would cover it if I decided that I didn't like it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ether-D; 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM.
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I then took it all back off and rattle-canned the whole works in black acrylic enamel.

I made a few more brackets for the bottom side and just screwed them to the skirts and the skirt section of the flares for a bit of extra support.

and for some reason, this pic won't upload...
        Last edited by Ether-D; 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM.
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Then I purchased some of the super ultra sticky double-sided tape from the auto parts store to help stick the flares to the wheel-wells cause I didnt wanna drill holes in the outside of my fenders. Again, if for whatever reason I wanted to go back to original, it would not be ruined. But as you'll notice, there's no reason for that...

Bam! Whaddaya think?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ether-D; 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM.
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I still haven't bought the body molding, but I'm sure you get the picture...

Oh, and I only said this was the "first" time this has been done because I knew it would bring out all the pics from the people who have done it before me.

Thanks for looking.
            Last edited by Ether-D; 01-18-2013, 05:59 PM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

God that looks good... I'm pretty sure you made easier work of putting it on than... taking it off was.. I don't think these cars where ever supposed to hit the showroom without some kinda trim kit... like a plank canvas and shit

Comment

Really r3v? I thought that surely someone would comment. Not even anyone saying it looks like shit. Anything?
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hold on buddy, im on r3v daily and this is the first I see this...other than you original thread. The paint and body section doesn't get that much traffic.

Now, to your addition. Do you have additional pix? I'm curious to see how much of the lower cabrio panel is exposed. This looks like a good option for a black cabrio. More angles pix and a wash/detail would be nice too. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

COTM

Comment

I did wash her up after this, but it's winter, and you know how long that lasts...
                    The lower panel is visible in that last pic. It's a good 1 1/2" lower than the bottom of the skirt. But it's hardly noticeable IMO. I'll see if I can get a cleanish pic up...
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

for whatever reason, I can't get any of my fricking pics to upload anymore. I don't know whats up. I'll keep trying.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Looks good manna. Maybe not something I'll jump at doing next weekend, but absolutely an option for the OEM+ guys

Comment

Are you taking this one to the brodeo?

Comment

I would have used double sided tape on the top part of the skirt instead of whatever clips you used. it only really needs clips on the bottom - the extra grommets BMW put in were way overkill.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

@anabolice30 Yessir, I'll be there in this one.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X