No announcement yet.

Ruby's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole time I've had Ruby, the speedometer has always ready 10% faster than what I'm actually doing. It's always bugged me, and since I coudln't work yesterday because of the weather, I thought I'd give it a go at fixing this pet peeve.

This little potentiometer adjust how quickly the speedometer goes up and down. Turn it clockwise, and it will go up slower (indicate a lower speed). Twist it counter-clockwise and the indicated speed will go up.

I decided to drill a hole in the plastic housing of the speedometer to make adjusting it not require full removal every time.
    Started drilling too high, now my speedometer has a cock-shaped hole. Sweet.

Dumbass me though "Oh hur durr I'll just go easy so I don't drill into the speedometer"
    Well guess what I did. YUP. Fucked over a resistor. The resistor second behind the pot (the one going diagonally) is supposed to be parallel to the one right behind the pot.
    I didn't realize this until I went for a few drives and had no speedo/odo. Took the speedo back out and inspected it to find the resistor all cocked over by my smooth moves.

Below is my attempt at resoldering the resistor. It looked like only one side's lead had come undone and that was the suspected reason the speedo stopped working.
    I spent so damn long trying to gently finesse my soldering iron behind the pot, not hit anything else, and dab a sweet tiny amount of solder on the broken lead.
    You at least gotta give me credit for trying, right?

Well it was clear that my repair didn't work and that I lack the skills/confidence to try to fix this. Off to Ebay to find a new one.
    I found the same motometer speedo for sale for $75, AND the seller was an hour away!
    I fired off an offer for $50 and said I'd pick it up, and he agreed!
    Turns out he's a really cool dude and has restored plenty of BMWs in his day and now sells parts for cash. Ebay name is DesignBolt and his website with some of his past projects is DesignBolt.com

Anyways, the new speedo had broken odometer gears so i swapped in the gears from my freshly-fucked speedometer

As much as I wish Ruby only had 70k, she's been loved a lot more than that! Referencing RagTopE30's post on adjusting the speedometer ( https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=193348 ) I made the new speedo accurate to my actual miles.

Also, not pictured, for some reason the left half of the gauge cluster went dim on the drive home last night. It came back on, and then the right half went out.

Well, I spent today driving around with Waze as my GPS reference, stopping, adjusting the pot, and going again.
    Once I was happy with the speedometer matching the GPS decently enough, I headed back home to put it all back together.

I replaced the gauge lights with LEDs I got off Amazon because the right bulb (that was out today) had a broken filament. I'm not sure why the left half died last night, but the right bulb was definitely dead. Could be a broken board in the cluster, but I definitely can't afford that shit right now. Gotta love having your ability to work dependent on good weather :^)

Also ^ painter's tape on the steering wheel/column will make sure you have it straight every time you reinstall the wheel
    Last edited by Levy3Poop; 01-12-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Didn't have time to sit down and add to the thread until today because I've just been a lazy shit.
      She started over heating when idling, the same exact way she did last year. (Fine while driving, but at idle heat goes away after a minute or 2, and temps start going high).
      I made an appointment with Bavarian Motor Sports (The BMW shop 5 minutes from my house! Sweet!), but had to cancel the appointment just because if it needed anything more than a coolant flush I woudln't be able to afford it.

As much as I hate the M42 cooling system, I had to take it on myself.
      I topped the coolant off to the cold line after it cooled, ran it, popped some pressure out via the bleed screw, and it did well driving around the neighborhood.
      I even sat outside work the next day just cooking in the heater to make sure the heat doesn't fade after a minute or two, and I can safely say I fixed it!

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 01-12-2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
        Didn't have time to sit down and add to the thread until today because I've just been a lazy shit.
        She started over heating when idling, the same exact way she did last year. (Fine while driving, but at idle heat goes away after a minute or 2, and temps start going high).
        I made an appointment with Bavarian Motor Sports (The BMW shop 5 minutes from my house! Sweet!), but had to cancel the appointment just because if it needed anything more than a coolant flush I woudln't be able to afford it.

As much as I hate the M42 cooling system, I had to take it on myself.
        I topped the coolant off to the cold line after it cooled, ran it, popped some pressure out via the bleed screw, and it did well driving around the neighborhood.
        I even sat outside work the next day just cooking in the heater to make sure the heat doesn't fade after a minute or two, and I can safely say I fixed it!

She looks so good! So cool to see my first E30’s progress to this day. Definitely want to get another Calypso at some point.
        1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post
          She looks so good! So cool to see my first E30’s progress to this day. Definitely want to get another Calypso at some point.
          Haha it blows my mind how easy it is for you, Eddie, and Kevin to see how your old car is doign. Thanks again for all your work on 'er. I always get complements on how clean the paint is, and people are always asking what wheels are on it. Keep doing your thing to other classics [emoji106]

Here's a pic from a few days ago. She needs a wash, and as soon as the seller I like on eBay has another IS lip I'll be ordering it

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Comment

love the color

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
              love the color
              Thanks man. I've become quite partial to Calypso myself!

Comment

Ever since the engine swap at Dave's, my back up lights haven't worked because the back up light switch's cable was taken out in the excitement of the swap. He was nice enough to mail it off to me, and I installed it today!

All you have to do is pull the two pronged end that plugs in to the tranny through the shifter's rubber gasket. There's a hole in the front of the rubber shift thing that allows you to pull the cable though and keep water out. Start with the two prongs going in through the cabin side of the shift rubber, and pull them through to the inside. I did this backwards, so I got to do it twice.

THE BELOW PICTURE WAS THE WRONG WAY! PLUGS GO TO THE INSIDE OF THE RUBBER! I guess I didn't take a picture after I got it right [emoji39]

Since I had the switch and was only missing the cable, I just had to plug in both ends and WOO! Now all the dummies we share the road with will know when I'm backing out of a parking spot!

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for detailing the reverse light wiring. When I 5-speed swapped my car the tranny didn’t have it and I bought the wiring recently but haven’t installed it yet. Maybe I’ll finally do it now that I see how easy it is haha
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The weather was too nice to not get a topless pic with our control tower [emoji7]

Comment

nice pic!

I know you've destoryed several IS lips, might want to switch to just an I lip and hope that one lasts... the missing lip really ruins the front... and certain things can happen when you add the missing lip.... check the COTM lol
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        nice pic!

I know you've destoryed several IS lips, might want to switch to just an I lip and hope that one lasts... the missing lip really ruins the front... and certain things can happen when you add the missing lip.... check the COTM lol
                        I've had 2 IS lips ruined. I might do a regular lip, but I'm just waiting for my preferred seller on eBay to get more IS lips in stock

Comment

It's not too glamorous or inspiring, but I finally replaced my leaking power steering hoses and reservoir.
                          New Vs old.

Hopefully I won't leave little drippy drops where I park anymore.

Nice new clean reservoir all set up. Man, that little clamp going around just did not want to cooperate lol.
                          And don't get me started on the bitch it was to put the rack to reservoir bolt back into the rack.
                          Reaching up above the subframe, between the tranny and chassis, dropping my washers every few seconds.
                          I may have invented a new swear word on that one lol.

UPS guy pulled up while I was wrenching and gave me this box.
                          What could this be? HMMMMMMM [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Glad I had backup clips to replace these ones I finally pulled off.

NEW IS LIP BABY OH YEAH!
                          2mAn, my wife wasn't too happy I ordered a non-mechanical part, but it bugged the hell out of me too lol.
                          You, and someone on instagram both told me on the same day I needed a new lip, and I just couldn't stand it anymore haha

Driveway test. It clears! By about a whole centimeter lol.
                          Yeah, I'm not gonna be getting E90 drop hats or lowering any more without going air suspension.

She needs a wash, but she looks even better than she did last week

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 02-22-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I went to a junk yard with a buddy cause there was an E30 in stock. I nabbed a hood latch cable, and replaced the one Ruby had, so now I don't need to do my "Big Screwdiver in the grille" party trick to pop the hood any more [emoji106]

Also, I got a trim piece to replace the front passenger fender trim piece because mine was falling off. The decades old clips even held up on removal!

TF is this sticky garbage? Apparently my old trim piece was held on with some shit here. Thankfully it managed to peel off without too much trouble

Low and behold, my drink for that night. An old fashioned. The clip broke from the trim piece, like an old fashioned pain in the ass. The clip is basically fused into the trim, so there's no replacing it...

I went to Auto Zone and got some....3M adhesive [emoji24] please don't tell anyone IRL I'm a dirty dirty rice boi using 3M tape on my classic BMW! I didn't wanna pay $55 for another trim piece. It actually turned out well, and has been holding up so far [emoji106]

I was in Home Depot and picked up another accessory for Ruby. I think she looks good white toys [emoji23]

Hmm....what could I be up to and for what purpose? [emoji6]

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 03-06-2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Also, gotta show love any time a blimp comes to the airport [emoji106]

Comment

Hmm....what could I be up to with these things? [emoji848][emoji6]

Comment

Working...
                                X