5.3 LSA build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Supadave View Post
    Not bad, I bet with a lil more time and effort this could look pretty good. I would probably continue the height all the way to the end of the hood...
    For the little amount of effort that was put into the hood, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. If i had put a little more time into the fab work, I might keep it on the car but at the time I just needed something to get me on the road and the blue hood was already damaged....no loss if I messed it up or didn't like the outcome. I still have the original hood in storage and my plan is to mold a scoop onto it and pull a fiberglass mold.

Even with most of the bracing removed the hood is still pretty heavy.
    Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
    '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
    Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
    1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
    Check us out
    Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
      For the little amount of effort that was put into the hood, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. If i had put a little more time into the fab work, I might keep it on the car but at the time I just needed something to get me on the road and the blue hood was already damaged....no loss if I messed it up or didn't like the outcome. I still have the original hood in storage and my plan is to mold a scoop onto it and pull a fiberglass mold.

Even with most of the bracing removed the hood is still pretty heavy.
      You have any pics of the scoop?
      sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

You have any pics of the scoop?
        I haven't even started yet but I was going to carve one from scratch by stacking foam blocks onto the existing hood. I moved across the state in Oct and wasn't able to bring anything with me. Unfortunately, the car and all my tools are stashed in storage unit back in Knoxville and will be for the foreseeable future.
        Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
        1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

Check us out
        Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

So I'm thinking of doing something like this... With a spare hood of course. Just incase I don't like the way it comes out.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0721.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	7194258

Name:	IMGP0724.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	7194259

Name:	IMGP0746_zpsec55ba26.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	7194260

I really want to follow the existing lines of the car.
          sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

That is really close to what I did with the exception of going all the way back with the raised portion. I used a cutoff wheel and made a cut along the bottom of the body line. I put a piece of foam on top of the engine and placed the hood back on the car. I let the engine make the shape in the hood and then I exaggerated it a little more for clearance. I welded it in place and then filled in the gaps with scrap metal I had.

I thought I had more pictures of it in my build thread, but i guess not. I can send you some tonight if you'd like. I have them on my portable hard drive.

Check us out
            Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
              That is really close to what I did with the exception of going all the way back with the raised portion. I used a cutoff wheel and made a cut along the bottom of the body line. I put a piece of foam on top of the engine and placed the hood back on the car. I let the engine make the shape in the hood and then I exaggerated it a little more for clearance. I welded it in place and then filled in the gaps with scrap metal I had.

I thought I had more pictures of it in my build thread, but i guess not. I can send you some tonight if you'd like. I have them on my portable hard drive.
              Thanks man! that would be awesome.
              sigpic

Comment

I see shenanigans happening here.

I'll allow it.

Comment

I have an lsa 5.3 e30. Check out my ig @gass_e30
                  91 e30 318is M50 SOLD
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=149570
                  92 325 vert project
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=341370

Comment

Originally posted by 1991 e30 bmw 318is View Post
                    wy u no post heer?
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by 1991 e30 bmw 318is View Post
                      I have so many questions for you. What radiator did you use? How is the clearance between your crank Pulley and radiator?
                      sigpic

Comment

From what I read 6th gear is useless with anything lower.
                        GTO's and Vipers ran 3.08's.

Comment

Sunday I removed some parts of the car.

Parts are for sale here. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=422429

20180506_195446 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_195429 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194655 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194727 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194644 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194535 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194545 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194554 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194437 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194501 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194452 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          20180506_194448 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
                          sigpic

Comment

Looks just like the 5.3L in my '09 GMC sierra, complete with DOD.

I'm currently tuning mine using Hptuners on the original E38 PCM (E38 means something else in the GM world). I've got mine speed density, MAfless and it's been great:

Comment

Originally posted by Mykk540i/6 View Post
                              Looks just like the 5.3L in my '09 GMC sierra, complete with DOD.

I'm currently tuning mine using Hptuners on the original E38 PCM (E38 means something else in the GM world). I've got mine speed density, MAfless and it's been great:

Mine is 13, I'm going with a Holley HP ECU and I'm doing the D.O.D delete. No need for it.
                              sigpic

Comment

So a lil update. I've been trying to source all the parts for an early model steering column. I just bought one from mr.vang (member on here). Now I'm waiting for my Z3 rack to show up. I also bought that from a member on here, but now he's gone radio silent... Hope I don't get burnt on that deal... Also I just installed my wilwood pedal set, I'll post pics later. Next on the list is to strengthen the sub frame, change all the bushings and add the second ear to the diff. After that the engine goes in!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X