1989 325i Vert from Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone. Here is my '89 E30 convertible in Zinnoberrot that I acquired back in May '18. I've been a happy BMW owner for some years now but the E30 has definitely been the pinnacle so far.

I spent about 6 months actively looking for a good example and after many test drives and lost auctions at BAT, I feel very lucky to have found this one locally and in good shape. I was originally looking for a coupe or sedan but I couldn't pass this vert and I have no regrets. I truly enjoy driving around with the top down.

Part of the reason for getting the car was to have a DIY project where I could learn more about auto mechanics so I have been working on it since day one. Here is what I have done so far:

Timing Belt & Water Pump
    Oil & filter, coolant change
    Suspension refresh (New shocks, springs, mounts)
    Tie rods
    Wheel alignment
    Cat-back exhaust
    Door locks
    Convertible Top release handle

I started a Youtube channel as way to document the process here: NoGaragE30

Next on my list is to fix the AC, which has not worked since I got the car and is not something you can live without down here in South FL. Im plan to do the R134 conversion following the awesome "Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY” on this forum.

Glad to be a part of this great community. Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7085_sml.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	7253576

Name:	IMG_6810_sml.JPG
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	7253577

Name:	IMG_7086_sml.JPG
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	7253578

Name:	IMG_7036_sml.JPG
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	7253579

Name:	IMG_7078_sml.JPG
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	7253580
    Last edited by bellerto; 09-07-2018, 03:50 PM.
    Youtube Channel
    '89 325i Convertible
    '19 VW Atlas
    '19 Subaru STI

Nice spoilers. I always like the look even if they are not super functional at typical road road speeds.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Great looking car! I have a zinno vert as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good lookin’ ‘vert! I’m also planning to do the R-134a deal. It’s too hot down here to go without AC.
        Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
        1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
        Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
          Nice spoilers. I always like the look even if they are not super functional at typical road road speeds.
          Thanks. Im not too happy with the trunk spoiler to be honest. The paint is all faded and there are many spots where the paint is completely gone and you can see the white (rubber, foam?) material. Im not sure how to go about fixing this. I see some people here recommending plasti-dip.
          Youtube Channel
          '89 325i Convertible
          '19 VW Atlas
          '19 Subaru STI

Comment

Originally posted by E's-30 View Post
            Great looking car! I have a zinno vert as well!
            Yours looks really good. Is that the chrome bumper painted in red? Also, what type of apron is that on the rear? Mine looks like it's missing something below the rear bumper, you can see the spare tire well from the back.
            Youtube Channel
            '89 325i Convertible
            '19 VW Atlas
            '19 Subaru STI

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
              Good lookin’ ‘vert! I’m also planning to do the R-134a deal. It’s too hot down here to go without AC.
              Good luck with that. I see yours is a '92, was that not 134a already? I have all the parts in hand already except for the compressor which is proving to be a PITA to find so far. No mounting kits for aftermarket options and all the OE options are expensive R12 compressors with 134a compatible seals.
              Youtube Channel
              '89 325i Convertible
              '19 VW Atlas
              '19 Subaru STI

Comment

Originally posted by bellerto View Post
                Yours looks really good. Is that the chrome bumper painted in red? Also, what type of apron is that on the rear? Mine looks like it's missing something below the rear bumper, you can see the spare tire well from the back.

Yea chrome bumper painted red with a rear bumper strip on the front as well. It’s a Zender rear apron, believe it was actually meant for euro bumpers but I got it to fit mine. The only other one I have come across that looked similar is the racing dynamics one. DTM Fiberworks makes a reproduction that looks decent as a real one is near impossible to find.

Not to threadjack but here is a better pic of the side of the rear apron.

Last edited by E's-30; 09-07-2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Good luck with that. I see yours is a '92, was that not 134a already? I have all the parts in hand already except for the compressor which is proving to be a PITA to find so far. No mounting kits for aftermarket options and all the OE options are expensive R12 compressors with 134a compatible seals.
                  Unfortunately early 1992 models are R-12.

I’m contemplating just having my compressor rebuilt with R134a seals. Still need all the other stuff, and not a priority until I have my top redone, seats fixed, and manual transmission swap completed. Keep us posted on compressor options please.

Also, consider coming up to Palm Beach for Cars & Coffee sometime. We often get a good turnout of e30s and it’s always great to see new faces and cars.
                  Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                  Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by E's-30 View Post
                    Yea chrome bumper painted red with a rear bumper strip on the front as well. It’s a Zender rear apron, believe it was actually meant for euro bumpers but I got it to fit mine. The only other one I have come across that looked similar is the racing dynamics one. DTM Fiberworks makes a reproduction that looks decent as a real one is near impossible to find.

Not to threadjack but here is a better pic of the side of the rear apron.

Bumpers look good!
                    Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                    Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
                      Unfortunately early 1992 models are R-12.

I’m contemplating just having my compressor rebuilt with R134a seals. Still need all the other stuff, and not a priority until I have my top redone, seats fixed, and manual transmission swap completed. Keep us posted on compressor options please.

Also, consider coming up to Palm Beach for Cars & Coffee sometime. We often get a good turnout of e30s and it’s always great to see new faces and cars.
                      Will do. I attended Cars and Coffee Miami for the first time this past Saturday and I was the only E30 there. I just looked at the C&C PM page and that is certainly a much larger event. That is a bit of a drive for me but could be a good excuse to drive the car more :)
                      Youtube Channel
                      '89 325i Convertible
                      '19 VW Atlas
                      '19 Subaru STI

Comment

Will do. I attended Cars and Coffee Miami for the first time this past Saturday and I was the only E30 there. I just looked at the C&C PM page and that is certainly a much larger event. That is a bit of a drive for me but could be a good excuse to drive the car more :)
                        Great!
                        Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                        Palm Beach County

Comment

Just watched you channel on Youtube. Keep up the great work. She looks lovely!
                          1987 325i cabriolet / 1999 Z3 2.8i roadster / 2009 Skoda Yeti / 2007 Suzuki VanVan
                          Previously: Z3 2.8 roadster, E46 330i MSport saloon, Z4 3.0i roadster, Z4M coupe, E90 335i MSport saloon, Z4M roadster, Z3M s50 coupe

Comment

Originally posted by inkeys View Post
                            Just watched you channel on Youtube. Keep up the great work. She looks lovely!
                            Awesome, glad you liked the car and the videos. Just uploaded a new one today where I do some cosmetic work.

I see you have the same car and it seems to be in great shape! I wish my paint looked as good. I like the euro bumpers too.
                            Youtube Channel
                            '89 325i Convertible
                            '19 VW Atlas
                            '19 Subaru STI

Comment

Here is the video of my first cars and coffee event. That 2002 was amazing!

Name:	cars&coffee youtube.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	7197862
                              Youtube Channel
                              '89 325i Convertible
                              '19 VW Atlas
                              '19 Subaru STI

Comment

Working...
                              X