Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jshbrwr View Post
    Was expecting you really were a time machine
    My E30 is. But the Members Only jacket was trashed, I need a new one. Jimmy Buffet and Eagles cassette tapes in the tape holder.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
      My E30 is. But the Members Only jacket was trashed, I need a new one. Jimmy Buffet and Eagles cassette tapes in the tape holder.

Lol

I think that’s what I love about these cars...even though I was only in kindergarten it makes me feel like I’m there in ‘86

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
        But the Members Only jacket was trashed, I need a new one.
        Yes! Let's find you another "Members Only" jacket!
        You can rock it like Macklemore - Thrift shop style!

Comment

Was white to match the paint. A navy blue to match top or khaki to match interior.....

It was real clean. Stays in garage. But one day it got a hole in it and grungy.
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Just checked ebay... they have 'em in white for $25 shipped!
            The teal green one is calling to me....

Comment

So...haven’t heard back from Rockauto

I called Oreilly yesterday and they will have the gaskets for me to pick up this morning for $12

Hoping to make some headway this weekend on getting the car back together. It’ll be a Christmas miracle if it gets going again honestly

Comment

So...haven’t heard back from Rockauto

I called Oreilly yesterday and they will have the gaskets for me to pick up this morning for $12

Hoping to make some headway this weekend on getting the car back together. It’ll be a Christmas miracle if it gets going again honestly
                Connect the coolant pipe hose (back of the head, near the firewall) to the head before bolting the head on. I forgot, and it was a huge pain.
                Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
                  Connect the coolant pipe hose (back of the head, near the firewall) to the head before bolting the head on. I forgot, and it was a huge pain.

Oops

Comment

What the heck people

I’m putting the new timing belt on and it’s got so much slack right now I’m afraid of going any farther. The tensioner spring is full stop and still has too much play. It’s the right size, just like the old one. I turned the engine a bit but the crank goes like 10 degrees before the cam starts to turn. Not good

What am I forgetting or missing?

Comment

What the heck people

I’m putting the new timing belt on and it’s got so much slack right now I’m afraid of going any farther. The tensioner spring is full stop and still has too much play. It’s the right size, just like the old one. I turned the engine a bit but the crank goes like 10 degrees before the cam starts to turn. Not good

What am I forgetting or missing?
                      First of all,, rule #1 of TB change: DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OR MOVE CAM/CRANK until TB is 100% installed....CORRECTLY.

Post some pictures of the motor from the front and a closeup pic of the tensioner area

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                        First of all,, rule #1 of TB change: DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OR MOVE CAM/CRANK until TB is 100% installed....CORRECTLY.

Post some pictures of the motor from the front and a closeup pic of the tensioner area

I understand that. I moved the crank by hand because thats the method the manual says to do. I stopped when I realized the slack was too much.

Here’s the routing

And here’s two pics of the deflection

Comment

routing looks correct. Your new TB correct model number and the same as old one?

They only thing I can't see from pics if the spring/tensioner installed correctly. By looking at the tensioner bolt slot, it looks like there is more room to push the belt further (compare your pic and the one I posted)
                          Is tensioner locking bolts completely loose? Tensioner spring was replaced with new one? Maybe old spring sagged badly?

Does your tensioner assembly look like this?

Last edited by zaq123; 12-10-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

You need to get rid of the stamped steel oil pump drive gear.

Also, when installing an m20 belt, I back the crank pulley a tooth, wrap the right side first, then rotate the crank while pulling the belt over the tensioner. The slack needs to be on the left, the right needs to be taut.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              You need to get rid of the stamped steel oil pump drive gear.

Also, when installing an m20 belt, I back the crank pulley a tooth, wrap the right side first, then rotate the crank while pulling the belt over the tensioner. The slack needs to be on the left, the right needs to be taut.

What he said, tensioner (once figured out) will need to take the slack, not the other side. Stamped pulleys are garbage as noted before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                                routing looks correct. Your new TB correct model number and the same as old one?

They only thing I can't see from pics if the spring/tensioner installed correctly. By looking at the tensioner bolt slot, it looks like there is more room to push the belt further (compare your pic and the one I posted)
                                Is tensioner locking bolts completely loose? Tensioner spring was replaced with new one? Maybe old spring sagged badly?

Does your tensioner assembly look like this?

Thanks for the response.

I checked the old belt vs new and actually counted the teeth and both were 127...same length too. I initially thought Rockauto sent me a mistake, or that I ordered wrong, but the belt is listed as a part for my ETA.

From what I can see, the tensioner is at full stop extended toward the drivers side, with the spring uncompressed, and the bolt as far back in the slot as it could go. The bolts were loosened and this spring and tensioner were replaced when I did the TB approx. 100 (yes, 100) miles ago. But now seeing your pic, I may have a bit more to go on extending the tensioner, so I’ll try that.

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Working...
                                X