Broken lower timing belt bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken lower timing belt bolt

I broke the 10mm bolt on the lower timing cover.i have about 5mm of stud length from the broken bolt. I tried vice trips and slotting the head, but dont have enough room.

I tried to weld a nut to the end of it, and I just cant get the weld to be strong enough. Should i keep trying with more current? Gave up for the night, if anything can I just forget it and just put the cover on and secure it with the lower tensioner bolt?

Clean the stud very well with a wire brush on a dremel, and find a clean, rust free non zinc plated nut to weld onto the stud. Clean both with acetone, preheat with a torch, then blast it with the welder. The trick is finding a non plated nut. I find that zinc coatings inhibit any sort of quality weld, while also being harmful to your health.
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Don't weld to zinc plating unless you don't like your lungs..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        Don't weld to zinc plating unless you don't like your lungs..
        Just don't breathe while doing it. ;)

OP, heat is what you need. If welding isn't working, heat the stud up with a torch as hot as you can get it. Then try getting it out with vice grips while still hot.

Welding usually works so well because it also heats up the broken fastener.

Comment

Working...
        X