New supra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powling View Post
    ...so you're not changing your name to Supradave anytime soon I guess?
    Read his name again ;)

Comment

The thing that bothers me is that they couldve created a new "shifter" and a few other toyota only parts and it would've made a big difference, but literally cover the emblem on the steering wheel and you wouldnt know the difference.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        Two, in the automotive world of today Toyota really missed the opportunity to make the Supra a high power electric only car. I suspect that this would have angered enthusiasts as well, but it would have likely been faster.
        Oh now this is an idea that I would be really excited about

also I feel like it really doesnt look too bad. Looks super european but I think thats just because euro sports cars are staying relatively modest in terms of exterior styling. Idk. It could have had a turbo 4 cyl....can always be worse
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
          It could have had a turbo 4 cyl....can always be worse
          When they discover that it's not selling at the price point desired they will probably take the same T4 out of the Z4 lineup and put it in the Supra as a budget model.

Comment

This car is going to flop so hard and I think the styling will be to blame.
            My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
              Oh now this is an idea that I would be really excited about

also I feel like it really doesnt look too bad. Looks super european but I think thats just because euro sports cars are staying relatively modest in terms of exterior styling. Idk. It could have had a turbo 4 cyl....can always be worse
              Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              When they discover that it's not selling at the price point desired they will probably take the same T4 out of the Z4 lineup and put it in the Supra as a budget model.
              It's going to come with the B48 4 cyl turbo as well

Road & Track web editor Chris Perkins had the chance to speak with Supra chief engineer Testsuya Tada at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few days ago, and the Toyota employee confirmed that there will indeed be a four-cylinder Supra. Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with "much better weight distribution" and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, "please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper."
              At least Toyota knows the BMW engines are crap too.
              Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

I think I've reached the point where I'm just a grumpy old guy who looks at modern cars like children look at pureed peas- with a look of incredulity and a thought that "they expect me to consume this shit?"
                1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Funny I can buy a new off-road Tacoma from Toyota with a proper 6-speed manual gearbox but they make a new Supra and give it the slushbox..

Guess we should just be grateful for what we have..

Comment

Let’s hope it won’t leak oil.
                    I think it s going to.

Comment

Give it a while once it's out and someone will be grafting Z4 front ends onto the Supra to make a Z4 coupe ;) Given the way that all modern BMWs are bolt on plastic in front of the front struts, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole front end can just bolt in.

The interior looks like a graft of the F3x entertainment / HVAC controls into the new Z4 dash. Will be interesting to see how Toyota has tweaked the suspension vs. the Z4.

I just wish Toyota would bolt the B48 into the 86... or the 2.0T from the Lexus is200 - that chassis is good, but it cries for an engine with more torque (otherwise I'd have one in the garage already!)
                      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
                        I think I've reached the point where I'm just a grumpy old guy who looks at modern cars like children look at pureed peas- with a look of incredulity and a thought that "they expect me to consume this shit?"
                        Get off your own lawn!

Originally posted by coldweatherblue View Post
                        Funny I can buy a new off-road Tacoma from Toyota with a proper 6-speed manual gearbox but they make a new Supra and give it the slushbox..

Guess we should just be grateful for what we have..
                        Hadn't considered that, odd.

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
                          lol... I've hit that point with technology in general (and for my day job I teach technology at a University...). The reality is that for what we do in my department, computers hit maturity about 5 to 8 years ago - upgrades offer nothing much of substance... sure each generation is a little faster, but all the glittery graphics stuff or "virtual assistants" are largely irrelevant. The speed is not compounding at a rate like it used to where each upgrade was an absolute must have like it was 15 - 20 years ago.

As for the cost of the current generation of smart phones, don't get me started! ;)
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                            Give it a while once it's out and someone will be grafting Z4 front ends onto the Supra to make a Z4 coupe ;) Given the way that all modern BMWs are bolt on plastic in front of the front struts, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole front end can just bolt on

Oh you mean this grille?

Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I've heard a few mentionings from Toyota's insiders about fitting the 2JZ into the 4-cylinder version. I can't help but wonder HOW easy it would be to do? These mentionings make me wonder if Toyota intentionally designed several key mounting points to make swapping in a 2JZ SUPER EASY. That'd be one way to quickly sidestep emmisions standards and keep the enterprising enthusiast happy. Something like, "Oops, THAT mounting hole sure lined up by accident. whodathunk?!"

Then next week Toyota offers a new "Factory Built" 2JZ program through it's dealers.

As for the design...I like it, except for the side profile. The wheel base does not match AT ALL.
                              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Once I saw the interior and truly saw it's just a BMW with a Toyota badge I stopped caring.
                                My Garage
                                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                                X