Need suggestions, rear wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need suggestions, rear wheel bearings

So 20 year old e30 with somewhere around 450k miles never has its rear wheel bearings replaced as far as I know. Driver's side is making noise, passenger side has play.

I thought just the drivers side was bad, so I get to work on it tonight (i work at a shop with a lift and good tools). Didnt even get the axle out. It seems to be seized on the hub. Used an air hammer, used a big hammer, used a bigger hammer, didnt budge it. Figured i'd try and get the hub off, used a very large slide hammer. Didnt even flinch.

About a year ago I had to put an axle in the pass. side, and it took a 4 foot tall hammer and a lot of nerve. I got it out, but there was no way that hub was coming off either.

Should I take the trailing arms off and send them to a machine shop to get pressed? I dont know if I have any other options.
    Old and improved:

You can borrow the tool from school? Doesn't Bimmer Faher from NCC have one or the BFc. tool loaner thread someone has to have one.

Comment

done with school now, plus they dont have anything for older cars. Even if i got tools, I thought they were just for pulling the bearing off, not help with the axle or the hub. Last time I used a puller on the hub it started to bend (the hub).

Im concerned I might break a press trying to get these fuckers out. they are on there.
      Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
      X