Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vert hard top roof rack DIY (really fits...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to the Yakima site and I think this is what you used minus the clips for the rain gutter. Is this the right one?

Yakima is the world's leading brand of car racks, including roof racks, bike racks, hitch racks, and many more for all of life's adventures.

Cheers,

Jim
    sigpic

Comment

I really want to do this

Fast life fuck slow..Low life for life
      Let the mix flow..Let the night flow
      I'm so gone ✗ ♥ O

Comment

no, q-towers are for the coupes... you want the "control towers" listed under permanent installation...

Originally posted by IronmanE30 View Post
        I went to the Yakima site and I think this is what you used minus the clips for the rain gutter. Is this the right one?

Yakima is the world's leading brand of car racks, including roof racks, bike racks, hitch racks, and many more for all of life's adventures.

Cheers,

Jim

Comment

Perfect, Thank you.

Cheers,

Jim
          sigpic

Comment

Hmm that looks amazing. I was gonna take the thule 300 clips for raingutters and bend the taps flat and drill holes. I think this looks much cleaner though.
            I need your obd1 parts! Harness intake ecu etc.

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

Another option to fitment is Yakima has a track base which this ski rack slides and adjust into. All you would have to do is drill holes matching the hard top screws, get new screws if needed and cut track smaller. the track has removable rubber ends so it will look clean once you cut it. I found everything used for $230.

Comment

Pics??

Originally posted by GT BMW E30 View Post
                Another option to fitment is Yakima has a track base which this ski rack slides and adjust into. All you would have to do is drill holes matching the hard top screws, get new screws if needed and cut track smaller. the track has removable rubber ends so it will look clean once you cut it. I found everything used for $230.

Comment

Bump for an awesome mod. I will def be doing this soon!
                  My 1991 325i Cabrio Build

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227529

Comment

Strong work. Not a mod that I would do, but glad to see it put together for others.
                    sigpic
                    Gun control means using both hands
                    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Sweet work, wish I still had my hard top cuz I'd copy you exactly. Got rid of it though cuz I didn't have a good place to store it during the warm months.

I always planned on doing something like this but it wouldn't have been 10% as stock looking. Props son.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerkarl View Post
                        a little light painting photography... mixed with flash of course for the model...
                        more pics of the model.
                        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerkarl View Post
                          Pics??
                          Just had a chance to install it last night for a meetup in Fort Lee.

Comment

Nice! Looks clean! How far apart are the crossbars? I just replaced the M8x20 screws with stainless yesterday, Hawaii has VERY corrosive air...

Originally posted by GT BMW E30 View Post
                            Just had a chance to install it last night for a meetup in Fort Lee.

Comment

they are aligned with the factory holes. same distance as yours. the only option is they can slide front to back. i did a hack job cutting holes for the screws to secure the rack. the screw head will not fit straight in. it has to be angled in (due to the grooves in the track) which caused me to make a larger hole. you will have to cut the rail shorter (it has removable rubber ends) and cut holes in plastic protective cover. I bought everything for $280. Your way is simpler.
                              Last edited by GT BMW E30; 02-19-2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

yeah, I wanted something that was COMPLETELY reversible and would look as stock as possible... I was not willing to modify any part of the hard top. and if I go to a "shady" part of town, the rails and fairing just pop off and fit in the trunk where I double-lock all my crap :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X