X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel bearing question

so i took my old hub/bearing assembly
    got the new meyle assembly and upon installation the race fell
    off and some of the bearings came out...i had to order another one...
    i think i fucked up on the installation
    what is needed to install a new one?

Is this for a front or rear wheel. If a front wheel replace the hub/bearing assembly. If a rear wheel press the bearing onto the trailing arm, install the snap ring and press the hub onto the bearing. It is important to use a driver that applies pressure to the inner sleeve when pressing the bearing onto the trailing arm. Which means having the right (special) tools for the job
    Last edited by jlevie; 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It was for the front. Do I need a bearing driver to get it in position? I broke the bearing so I ordered another don't want to fuck another one.

Comment

I think I used a large socket that fit good on the outside of the metal part of the bearing and banged it on as gently as possible. You dont want to push it in from the outside of the hub or the bearings pop out as you found out. I do things probably a lil backwards but used what i had to get the job done...... The rears are a nightmare i would highly suggest getting the proper tools for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ///digitalme View Post
          It was for the front. Do I need a bearing driver to get it in position? I broke the bearing so I ordered another don't want to fuck another one.
          Polish the spindle with 400grit crocus cloth. Then lubricate it with oil. The hub should slide on needing only slight persuasion. It it needs help, use the socket you used to take off the nut as a driver. Once the hub starts on, do not pull it back off as that can separate the bearing.
          Last edited by jlevie; 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

^thanks ill try that Appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              Polish the spindle with 400grip crocus cloth. Then lubricate it with oil. The hub should slide on needing only slight persuasion. It it needs help, use the socket you used to take off the nut as a driver. Once the hub starts on, do not pull it back off as that can separate the bearing.

i tried what you told me and still wouldnt go in all the way..
              i used the 36mm socket as the driver, tapped it gently, still wouldnt go in then it went in a little, but wouldnt spin freely, i got the nut and tightened it and it still wouldnt spin freely, put the caliper wheel on and spins freely now...im worried the bearing separated, theres not weird noise though...
              im afraid of driving it like that and causing more damage

Comment

new bearings wont spin freely in your palm, not initially at least.

Comment

Working...
                X