Wish she'd warm up faster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish she'd warm up faster!

Drove my '87 325 w/ M50TU swap today because my '95 525 is in for inspection. Car runs fine and all, just wish she had heat sooner. Running an M42 radiator no fan at all and a stock (I think though maybe its a colder one) thermostat for an M50TU and she does get warm in the cabin but it takes like 15 mins - 20 mins of driving. My commute to work is only like 20 mins.

Anyone else have real long warm up times using any combination of the above?

Thanks,
    Jon

Is this your first winter driving a car?

1. Let the car warm up before driving it (don't recommend if it is an automatic)
    2. Shift later (wait until at least a 1/4 warm)
    3. heated seats
    4. wear more clothes
    5. wait two weeks and it will be spring.

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
      Is this your first winter driving a car?

1. Let the car warm up before driving it (don't recommend if it is an automatic)
      2. Shift later (wait until at least a 1/4 warm)
      3. heated seats
      4. wear more clothes
      5. wait two weeks and it will be spring.
      Yes I've never driven a car in winter. This is new to me.

The rest of my cars warm up in < 5 - 10 mins.

Even in summer/warm weather this car doesn't warm up very quickly nor does it really ever reach half way up and it's not even running a cooling fan.

Comment

So no fan at all means no mechanical engine fan either correct? If you do have one, your fan clutch could be seized and always spinning full power. If you don't even have an engine fan, get a higher temp tstat.

Comment

It does not have a mechanical engine fan? If it does, your fan clutch could be seized and always spinning full power. If you don't even have an engine fan, get a higher temp tstat.
          I indicated it does not have a fan - no full time electric, no mechanical. I haven't needed it. I press the snow flake which enables the stock aux fan if I need to cool it but I really haven't had to just yet as the car has only been truly running since fall.

I think I put in a stock temp t-stat but I have a few cars so it's hard to keep track.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
            I indicated it does not have a fan - no full time electric, no mechanical. I haven't needed it. I press the snow flake which enables the stock aux fan if I need to cool it but I really haven't had to just yet as the car has only been truly running since fall.

I think I put in a stock temp t-stat but I have a few cars so it's hard to keep track.
            Ok, so you DO have a fan. Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. replace it with BMW ONLY.

Comment

Ok, so you DO have a fan. Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. replace it with BMW ONLY.
              It's not. It's new. I've prob put 100 miles on the car since August. OEM. I tested it out of the car works as it should.

Comment

The lower Thermostat is going to cut down on the amount of heat in the cabin.
                The heater switch may be stuck closed.
                The heater core may be clogged.
                I notice less heat from my S52 swap compared to when it was the stock drive train, but it still gets hot.

m

Comment

I was going to say maybe your thermostat is partially opening not allowing the car to reach normal operating range. Fronton mentioned it as well.

You might want to check this and the things 7pilot mentioned.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Could be a thermostat issue? I have the lowest temp one i could find IIRC 82C and I get heat very quickly. Blow very hot in 5-10 minutes. Spider hoses routed the correct way?

Comment

Originally posted by 325e10 View Post
                      Could be a thermostat issue? I have the lowest temp one i could find IIRC 82C and I get heat very quickly. Blow very hot in 5-10 minutes. Spider hoses routed the correct way?
                      Yeah hose under the manifold seems to be correct. I forget its orientation right now but I checked it prior and it was right based on what I read. I would think the smaller M42 radiator and engine making more horsepower would result in fast warm up but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Its 38F out though. It does get some heat, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
                        Yeah hose under the manifold seems to be correct. I forget its orientation right now but I checked it prior and it was right based on what I read. I would think the smaller M42 radiator and engine making more horsepower would result in fast warm up but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Its 38F out though. It does get some heat, eventually.
                        Interesting, possibly a bleeding issue? My car can start producing warmish air pretty quickly within the first few minutes.

Comment

My M50TU took quite some time to heat up with the stock thermostat temp and the M20 radiator. I was running an electric fan on a manual switch, no mechanical fan.
                          It would take me a good 10-15 minutes for it to warm up to temp, and the heat was not as hot as it was with the m20 in it.

Comment

From driving my S50 swap it takes quite a while to warm up, and I don't just mean blow heat in the cabin, I mean for the coolant gauge to rise to operating temp.

Comment

Do you guys have the bypass thermostat on the heater hose going into the cabin? I left it on and I have the same problem or even worse. It opens and lets water in the heater when the water temp reaches the half way line on the gauge but it only happens when I forget to turn on the electric fan in traffic (I have no mechanical fan either). Otherwise the air coming in is barely warm.

Comment

Working...
                              X