M30b34 E30 twin-screw supercharged muscle car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30b34 E30 twin-screw supercharged muscle car

Hey there r3v. I just traded my 87 delphin vert parts car for this.

First things first, Thanks Donnie (The go-to e30 parts man in middle TN)! We both got what we wanted.

1987 325iS (used to be auto, just a roller now). The body has three dings and PDR would take care of two of them easy. One little crease on the driver c-pillar. Otherwise, been sitting since 04. Charcoal carpet is there but the rest of the interior is shot or missing. Cracky dash.

Oh yeah, it came with an 86 m30b34 and auto transmission on the side (thanks again Donnie). So that's what's gonna happen here.

(Edit: I decided to go with a getrag 240 manual trans a few weeks in.)

I'm thinking just kinda hot rod-ish style for the resurrection. Make it run, then make it fast.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ether-D; 12-07-2014, 07:27 PM. Reason: semantics
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

A better shot. Small amount of soap and water and elbow grease later (still wet).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ether-D; 07-27-2014, 07:42 PM.
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I considered buying that same b34 before going 24v (I just pulled it from the e36 today). How long was that at his shop? It looks familiar.
      IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

The car he just got yesterday, but it was too straight and clean to part out. So he traded for my lightly-hit-across-the-rear but part-able vert that I wasn't gonna do anything with. It was a real stand-up thing for him to do. Now I have a project to mess with, and a clean original car gets to live. And he can part the vert and make a little dough maybe.
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

4x4 Status!!
          "It's a M sport, it has M logos on it."
          -Miata Driving Douche-

Comment

Originally posted by Sideways87 View Post
            4x4 Status!!
            Not for loooooooong…
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ideas...

So I'm thinking I could get those fat whitewall things from ebay and some chrome baby moon lug covers on 14" burgundy bmw steelies. I'm also thinking about an e30 rear bench seat (armrest) in the front (and back) in cardinal or black so one of my ladies could slide up next to me while we're cruising. It would be one of the only 6 seater e30s that I know of.

M30b34 powerhouse (eventually roots or lysholm supercharged) and an automatic 4hp-22 transmission. Maybe a burgundy engine bay. Was also thinking about making it column shift (because front bench seat). Just build it like the 1950's hot rodish style. Minimalist-ish, straight line machine that'll be surprisingly fun in the corners I'm sure.

Criticism? Ideas? Don't be a dick just to be a dick though, if you please.

Kinda in this realm, but with the steelies and baby moons.
              Maybe single exhaust on both sides of the apron.
              Single headlight conversion.

~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                So I'm thinking I could get those fat whitewall things from ebay and some chrome baby moon lug covers on 14" burgundy bmw steelies. I'm also thinking about an e30 rear bench seat (armrest) in the front (and back) in cardinal or black so one of my ladies could slide up next to me while we're cruising. It would be one of the only 6 seater e30s that I know of.

M30b34 powerhouse (eventually roots or lysholm supercharged) and an automatic 4hp-22 transmission. Maybe a burgundy engine bay. Was also thinking about making it column shift (because front bench seat). Just build it like the 1950's hot rodish style. Minimalist-ish, straight line machine that'll be surprisingly fun in the corners I'm sure.

Criticism? Ideas? Don't be a dick just to be a dick though, if you please.

Kinda in this realm, but with the steelies and baby moons.
                Maybe single exhaust on both sides of the apron.
                Single headlight conversion.

That would be cool. Might as well just buy bottle caps given that they are equally as cheap and look much better than steelies. I like the color scheme, however keep chrome out of it. It will almost always look tacky. But, if that is your taste, then more power to you.

1991 318iS Sterlingsilber - 1989 325i Cirrusblau (sold) - 1990 318iC Brilliantrot (sold)

Comment

Yeah, I'm alright with the idea of the bottle caps, but the steelies are a half inch narrower and I thought it might look truer to form with narrow wheels n rubber.

It's ok if the chrome looks a bit tacky. The iS has a bunch of chromeish trims here and there. I might leave it all.

What about the bench seat? Any real good reason not to do it?
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Cool idea, though I'd go manual personally.
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

I would too, if that's what came with the motor I got. But it came with an auto and I just thought, why not. A manual costs more money (cause I'd have to buy it) and the auto is paid for and more muscle car style.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

What about the bench seat? Any real good reason not to do it?
                        The rear seats really have no internal support of their own, and rely on the unibody itself for structure. I would imagine that there must have been a domestic car/truck with a full or 60/40 split front bench seat that would fit between between the e30 doors. I think you could save yourself a ton of headache by finding an existing bench seat and simply make adaptors or cut/weld the mounts to bolt it in, as opposed to fabricating an entire seat frame to support the e30 rear bench.

If your previous build thread reveals anything about you, it is that you will find a way to make it work. I can't wait to see how this build turns out.
                        Last edited by Andy.B; 09-14-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

So here's the predicament. The m30 is out of an 86 735i and it has the electronic auto trans (4hp22eh). I think it would be super trick to have all that work in a proper electronic way, but it's gonna be a bear I think to make it happen. I believe it's gonna need a speed signal and throttle position signal and such things. The trans does have it's harness and the motor has the proper automatic version of the m30 harness and I have the computers for both. And 'G-man the visionary' has the switch for the sport/economy selector for me (which would also be neat).

Does anyone have any experience with an old 735i (with the 4hp22eh)? Is it just silky smooth shifts? What is the advantage (if any) of the electronically controlled auto over the kick down cable version? Or will it be easier/worth it to just switch the guts of a non-electronic 4hp22 and use an m20 harness on the motor?

Thank you. Pardon my brain diarrhea.
                          Last edited by Ether-D; 07-27-2014, 09:56 AM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                            I think you could save yourself a ton of headache by finding an existing bench seat and simply make adaptors or cut/weld the mounts to bolt it in, as opposed to fabricating an entire seat frame to support the e30 rear bench.
                            ^This exactly. Like some toyota or nissan pickup seat frame, but with the e30 bench attached somehow.

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                            If you're previous build thread reveals anything about you, it is that you will find a way to make it work. I can't wait to see how this build turns out.
                            Thanks a lot man.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

M30b34 powerhouse (eventually roots or lysholm supercharged).
                              Because of this, the m20 harness would be ideal on account of the fact that the ms2 I have now has a m20 harness connection, and technically, I could use it for both of my cars (if I make a new tune for the m30) cause I can only drive one at a time, right?

Irrrrrrrrregardless, in a perfect world, I could use the m20 harness and make it work with the 4hp22eh computer and harness by running a vehicle speed signal and put in a WOT switch and run the ms2 for when I give it the boost. Sounds simple enough...
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X