Dirty Dozen 24 valve V12 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty Dozen 24 valve V12 build

After sitting on the fence for well over a year on what swap I wanted to do.I finally came to a conclusion. The biggest decision maker would have to be the sounds that a v12 with a free flow exhaust and headers makes.

The E30 is my 89 325 is that I have driven for the past 47,000 miles. It's a great car but it's time for an improvement.

To be continued.....
    Last edited by DirtyDozen; 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM. Reason: :)
    sigpic

You have my attention.

Comment

The engine seemed to run so so pre extraction, the car also seemed to shift good, there was little slop in the linkage and driveshaft, it will be addressed. Power seemed a little down from what it should be. A good tune up and gaskets are in order. Also a compression check to make sure there are no real issues. There were no fluid leaks or issues. This was had some pretty ancient gas and oil, car had been sitting since 2003. Since everyone loves a video, that is if you don't mind my phone camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa_CJZqyeqY

It was fun driving this old beast around the block, it got some good looks. Looking forward to having it in the E30.
      Last edited by DirtyDozen; 06-02-2014, 04:31 PM. Reason: youtube tags not working
      sigpic

Comment

Cannot wait, man! Shocked you guys did not send me a text when you were pulling the engine :(
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I researched this swap for my e24 to no end. The only reason I didn't do it was the lack of an available ( and reasonably priced ) manual transmission that will bolt up to the v12. That said, from my experience with this motor, the engine management system with its 3 computers and electronic throttle are VERY problematic. I found a gent in Canada that makes his own very trick management system and wiring harness that uses GM throttle bodies ( cable driven ) , ECU, and coil packs. If you want his address let me know. Best of luck with your project!

Comment

Ah, this is going to be a good one. I can't imagine how tail happy that car is going to be though lol.

PS: Just noticed your location. I live in 12095 and am frequently in Syracuse, if you ever need a hand.
            Instagram
            sigpic
            Current: 99 M3
            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

It won't be too bad - the v12 has an alloy block & doesn't weigh much more than an M30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Progress

So I finally got to work on this project. I had a few other projects in the way, as well as some other personal things preventing me from getting anything done. The 1989 325is was my daily driver, so I did not really get a chance do such an advanced swap. I also was slightly torn tearing apart a perfectly good working low miles E30. So I posted it for a fair price and it sold surprisingly quick.

Last picture of the Millennium Falcon. I already miss this car ALOT!

In its place I managed to find a 1991 318i. The car is alpine white, with tan interior and a perfect dash. There is absolutely no rust on the car anywhere, and the interior is spotless. The only problem with the car is that the motor had an oil pump failure and came partially disassembled by the previous owner that threw in the towel on it. Perfect candidate? Yes I had some big smiles that day.

The Storm Trooper day zero. I don't feel bad take the m42 out of this car because it does not work.

Being nearly flawless, with absolute no rust anywhere, I have no idea how this car lived in New York. Here it is finally parked next to the new drive train.

The ultra rare 6 Speed! This transmission is extremely sought after, and ridiculously hard to find. Thanks to my good friend Frank I was able to obtain it for a very reasonable expense.

Had about four hours of garage time, Goal was to remove the drive train.

Yesterdays mission was successful. More advanced measurements were taken. Getting pretty excited this is turning out to be a fun project. Hopefully I will get more time this week to work on it further.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                  Cannot wait, man! Shocked you guys did not send me a text when you were pulling the engine :(
                  It's a miracle when I have time to get something done.

Originally posted by nsxguy7 View Post
                  I researched this swap for my e24 to no end. The only reason I didn't do it was the lack of an available ( and reasonably priced ) manual transmission that will bolt up to the v12. That said, from my experience with this motor, the engine management system with its 3 computers and electronic throttle are VERY problematic. I found a gent in Canada that makes his own very trick management system and wiring harness that uses GM throttle bodies ( cable driven ) , ECU, and coil packs. If you want his address let me know. Best of luck with your project!
                  That could be extremely Helpful, Thank you.

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
                  Ah, this is going to be a good one. I can't imagine how tail happy that car is going to be though lol.

PS: Just noticed your location. I live in 12095 and am frequently in Syracuse, if you ever need a hand.
                  Syracuse is fun to visit, always have to get my Dinosaur BBQ! Appreciate the offer.

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  It won't be too bad - the v12 has an alloy block & doesn't weigh much more than an M30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  At 341lbs it's hardly the "boat anchor" so many Negative Nancy's complain it is. I find the extremely smooth freight train torque curve very appealing :)
                  sigpic

Comment

subbed. this is sweeet love that v-12 startup whir!

Comment

How can anybody naysay such a gonzo hot rod project? Very stoked about watching your progress. You're batting for the fences on this one!
                      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

I love this!

step 1: buy 318is
                        step 2: triple the number of cylinders
                        step 3: ?
                        step 4: profit! (and/or hoon)

Comment

:up:
                          -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                          08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                          318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                          '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                          Originally posted by roguetoaster
                          Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
                          X