This is Marty! OEM+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Marty! OEM+

I'd like to introduce you to Marty! She's a 1989 325is I picked up towards the tail end of last year. Fun fact, I went to go see it on my Birthday in June but the car was just out of my price range. Marty would come to be my second e30 in about a month. I bought an awful project of an e30 off of a facebook group for just over a grand and flipped it without losing too much money out of it.

Marty's AC wasn't working and needed a complete overhaul. At this point, I didn't want to deal with it too much so I found a great mechanic in the Carrollton, Tx area that offered to convert my AC, do a rack/pinion swap, tie rod end, and a power steering pump swap for very reasonable. The shop had the car longer than I've had her.

PS I'm new with formatting on this and this is my first thread so I beg for patience.

Here's how Marty looked when I first picked her up. Using the previous owners pics.
    Attached Files

Pics of the first car I sold in a quick hurry.

There were so many things wrong with this car that I just had to get rid of it for my sanity.

The interior was all kinds of terrible.

The front bumper was welded on because it was supposed to be a diving board but they wanted some fiberboard bumpers for some reason. The AC was shot, the car would stall on idle, it ran rich, the odometer didn't work, just all kinds of terrible.

Is there an easier way to upload pictures than using the built in upload feature?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

You'll likely want to upload/host your photos elsewhere and then embed them in your posts on this forum. Here's a tutorial on how to do this with Flickr (free): https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=405411

Comment

Marty has a roar going on in the rear when I'm driving. I initially thought it was maybe because the differential needed a nice fluid flush so I did that. I don't regret doing it unnecessarily. I guess I can sleep easier knowing it was done.
        IMG_6768 by pandaboy50, on Flickr

IMG_6770 by pandaboy50, on Flickr

IMG_6769 by pandaboy50, on Flickr

Comment

Got around to installing Koni Yellow shocks and H&R race springs.

IMG_6971 by pandaboy50, on Flickr

Assembled, ready to go in!

IMG_6991 by pandaboy50, on Flickr

Installed

IMG_6980 by pandaboy50, on Flickr
          The ride is phenomenal really planted.

Unfortunately, while my buddy and I were under the car we found out that the rear axle is pretty shot along with the sway bar end links. We plan on getting around do doing the rear bearings and axles sooner than later.

Marty is running a little too rich for me to park her inside my garage without the entire house smelling like a mechanic's shop.

I was able to pick up some new (to me) wheels down in Austin. I'm going to meet my buddy to get them in a couple of weeks. Super excited.

Comment

Nice work! Curious how the H&R race springs with the konis compare to the common bilstein setup.

I would consider a skid plate with the H&R races, the ride height is very manageable but it does put your oil pan at butt clenching level. Only took six months or so to pop mine

HIK Fab makes a bitchin' severe duty skid plate that's saved me countless times :)

Comment

Thanks! I'll look into skid plats.

I never really thought about my car being too low.

I guess putting some thought into it, it makes sense to do.

Comment

Only get the HIK fab skid plate, the others will protect you plate from little impacts,

HIK will destroy whatever your car hits

Comment

New axles, sway bar end links, rotors, pads, SS lines. I couldn't get the wheel hub off to get to the bearing so I am going to have to undo all of this to get to the bearing. Any tips/advice on how to get the wheel hub off to get at the bearing?

Excuse the terrible pictures. It took two days to do it and hit way too many road blocks.
                  IMG_7089 by pandaboy50, on Flickr
                  IMG_7093 by pandaboy50, on Flickr
                  Stripped one of the bolts that goes from axle to the differential.

Couldn't get the axle nut off.

Brake rotor was seized onto the damn hub.

Plus, I wasn't able to get the damn wheel hub off, despite having a sliding hammer.

Brakes were done though. So that was a huge success.

Comment

Working...
                  X