Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pads

I just did some searching and I couldn't find any good brake pad thread. I think we should have a sticky thread or poll so people like me who are looking to buy new pads know what to get for their application, there are so many pads to choose from. I am looking at the Turner complete brake package which comes with Axxis pads the link is below, what do you think of Axxis? I liked the EBC, and Hawk pads I had but haven't had much experience with anything else and unfortunately I use my car daily, at autocross and track events. I am planning on getting the Axxis pads for now and hoping they will make it through the VIR event next month. Any other suggestions? In the spring I will pick up some track pads, but these will have to make it through at least one track day as well as some daily driving.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me solve the brake problem I had last week, I think its to the point now where I just need to bleed my brakes. The ABS pump turned out to be the culprit.

Get the Axxis Ultimates. Great auto-x/street pad, only downside is the dust. Daily driving, I would clean my wheels on a Saturday, by Friday you could see the dust on them. They have a really nice high temp fade point, somewhere in the area of 900* F. I liked them.
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Great thats what I am looking for, I don't really care about dust. I just ordered the Turner kit, hope it turns out well.

E30 318/325e/i Brake Package
      Yes, add stainless lines
      ATE Super Blue
      Axxis Ultimate
      TMS Cross Drilled

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
        Get the Axxis Ultimates. Great auto-x/street pad, only downside is the dust. Daily driving, I would clean my wheels on a Saturday, by Friday you could see the dust on them. They have a really nice high temp fade point, somewhere in the area of 900* F. I liked them.
        Lucky you.

On my Axxis, I clean my wheel by Saturday morning, I'll see dust by Saturday afternoon.
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

I like Hawk HPS... have them on both my e30's after trying several others. I use HT-10's for track use.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Axxis Ultimates or Hawk HPS pads work fine on the street and are pretty much equivalent. Whether either will work well on the track (they'd be fine for AutoX) depends entirely on your skill level. I used to run HT-10's as a track pad, but I've switched to PF-01's (thanks Bimmerworld) for a more linear response and better pedal feel.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Althought it may be a bit late since you have already placed your order... HT-10's are a nice track pad (I also like the Performance Friction 01 and 97 compound pads).

I don't think the Ultimates are going to work well with your swapped car. You are going to be carrying significantly more speed into the corners than you did with the M20.
              Last edited by Mike B.; 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I like the hawk pads I just picked up along with the TMS Cross-drilled rotors.
                -Erik
                '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

I am going to pick up some track pads as well soon. So if Axxis and Hawk are good for Autocrosses and street use what is good for beginner/intermediate HPDE events? Is anyone running brake backing plates and ducts? I am thinking about order some.

Comment

Yes, I am running plates and ducts (Harrison Motorsports). Very nice to have if you are tracking your car.

Go with the HT-10's or PF-97's for track pads. PM me, I can get good prices on pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
                      Yes, I am running plates and ducts (Harrison Motorsports). Very nice to have if you are tracking your car.

Go with the HT-10's or PF-97's for track pads. PM me, I can get good prices on pads.
                      I just looked at Harrison Motorsports, they have the cheapest brake ducts I have seen, and they look pretty nice. I am surprised I haven't heard of them before.

Comment

I would also get the pieces that bolt directly to the stock brake ducts in the front valence. It makes mounting the duct hose very easy.

Comment

Did you see any noticeable difference with the ducts?

Comment

Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Brilliant.

Comment

Good thread.

I have used the Performance Friction Z rated pads on my E46. They work very well at the track for HPDE's and are OK on the street. Initial bite when cold is not stellar, but there is plenty of cold stopping power.

I was thinking of using the same pads for my new (to me) E30 track rat. I will still be driving the car to the track (about 70 miles) and I don't want to try and change pads at the track. So I still want something that will work cold for the street driving but will hold up well for HPDE's. I am driving at Portland International, so there is really only one super hard braking zone. The others are pretty short and probably don't build too much heat.
                              My rotors on my E46 were showing over 750° after about 10 laps though. The E46 is a lot heavier car so I would expect the E30 would be the same or less.
                              1987 E30 325is
                              1999 E46 323i
                              RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                              oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Working...
                              X