Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead thread revival!

Bumping this because I'm brake pad shopping right meow, any experience based opinions on the Axxis ultimates, Hawk HPS, and PFC Z-rated?

I'm looking for set of pads for street, lots of auto-x and the odd track session.

Do the Axxis ulitmates and PFC Z-rated fall flat on their face once overheated like HPS's are reputed to?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Porterfileds. lil dusty but no bad pads. Hawks are good for cold bite. I know a bunch of guys that like porterfields over hawks though.
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Hey, cool thread I just wanted to share my experience with brake pads and hopefully it will influence your decision.

I run Hawk HPS for everyday normal daily driving and occasional autox, they suck! (compared to my PFC pads).

I use Performance Friction 06 pads for trackdays, they are amazing. I am able to brake much later with more confidence than the other cars and keep up with them by late braking even though I am waay down in power compared to them. I have been to 5 track days and 2-3 autox using these pads and they are still really thick, I'm probably not using them to their potential. I realize I'm still new at this and will eventually gain more confidence to brake even later and harder, but these pads are great! I think the 06 is the enduro version and not the sprint version like the 01. Price is somewhere around 300+ for a set, but it sure is worth it!

Oh yeah, there is lots of brake dust on my wheels after each event. I DGAF because they are grey colored wheels so it blends in :p

watch me catch up in the downhill here:
        4/14/2012 Too many driver errors by me, watch the newer cars pull away from my E30 on the uphill. The M3 had slicks on that day and the S2000 had typical aero

sigpic

Comment

Believe me if if I could justify running PFC 06's I would, I have heard nothing but good about them. Thing is the nearest track to me is 300 miles away (fucking western Canada). I would virtually never be using them to their potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
            Believe me if if I could justify running PFC 06's I would, I have heard nothing but good about them. Thing is the nearest track to me is 300 miles away (fucking western Canada). I would virtually never be using them to their potential.
            I wish I got a free shirt or something after paying that much for brake pads
            sigpic

Comment

Okay anybody know where I can get me some Porterfield R4-S's for a decent price?

Comment

Originally posted by robgoesvroom View Post
                Hey, cool thread I just wanted to share my experience with brake pads and hopefully it will influence your decision.

I run Hawk HPS for everyday normal daily driving and occasional autox, they suck! (compared to my PFC pads).

I use Performance Friction 06 pads for trackdays, they are amazing.
                To second robgoesvroom, I have had Hawk HPS's for one year with a full season of autox, fun mountain driving, and daily driving. For those things, they worked great. I recently tracked my car at an open lapping day and fried them. I don't think they'll do duty for anything beyond HPS.

So I'm in the market for some pads that'll do daily driving decently, but also stand up at the track. Robgoesvroom, how'd you get your PFC pads? I used their parts finder on their website, but it wouldn't work for an 89 325i?

Comment

Originally posted by E30Dan07 View Post
                  So I'm in the market for some pads that'll do daily driving decently, but also stand up at the track. Robgoesvroom, how'd you get your PFC pads? I used their parts finder on their website, but it wouldn't work for an 89 325i?
                  There is no street rated pad that will also stand up to track use. The requirements are too far apart. That said, you can run PFC 06/08 pads on the street and they'll work great on track. The downside of that will be cost, dust, and some noise.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by E30Dan07 View Post
                    To second robgoesvroom, I have had Hawk HPS's for one year with a full season of autox, fun mountain driving, and daily driving. For those things, they worked great. I recently tracked my car at an open lapping day and fried them. I don't think they'll do duty for anything beyond HPS.

Bimmerworld! (Or any of the bmw-specific performance parts suppliers) But PFC pads might be overkill for the street — I'm a little snooty in the sense that I've got trackpads/trackwheels and a daily set. IMO, PFC pads are too expensive if you are really on tight budget, but they perform great.
                    Last edited by robgoesvroom; 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                      There is no street rated pad that will also stand up to track use. The requirements are too far apart. That said, you can run PFC 06/08 pads on the street and they'll work great on track. The downside of that will be cost, dust, and some noise.
                      jlevie is right on the money. If I don't change my car to "street spec", everyone looks at us when my car squeaks/squeals slowing down — but I DGAF. My girlfriend admitted to being embarrassed when I drove us around town with the PFC pads on
                      sigpic

Comment

Anyone have an experience dailying Hawk HP+ pads?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          Anyone have an experience dailying Hawk HP+ pads?
                          they're pretty loud and dusty but bite like crazy.

Comment

Working...
                          X