No harmonic balencer? Do i need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No harmonic balencer? Do i need one?

Hey this question might be stupid so take it easy on me. I bought a s52 motor from a guy who parts alot of e36's. It did not come with the harmonic balencer on it but the ac and crank pulley where back on it bolted up as if it works. Ive noticed that with this crank pulley(seems big ass shit) and doesnt seem to be any space behind the pulley for the hb anyway. Help me thanks
    Attached Files

If you want to have an engine that stays intact, YES.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

The reason why I ask is that the motor I thought came strait out of the car. And I couldn't see a reason why they'd take it off. So it warranted a rejecto question. I think at least... Hhmmm..

Comment

Scary. I can see a lightened to a small degree but it needs one in a six to dampen the throw harmonics.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Looks like an underdrive OBD2 pulley
          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

I know it is scary. I was just gonna chuck this motor in. I'm pretty sure that you can't run the engine without it. The scary part is why was it off in the first place. And why would someone take it off then put it back on. Lol.. O well thanks r3

Comment

I'm ment put the pulleys back on without the balancer.

Comment

I have one off my m52. Dont know if it works but if it does it is out on my garage floor

Comment

I bought an S52 that came with one of those non-dampining underdrive crank pulleys. When i went to switch the oil pan for the swap, the oil pump nut was sitting in the bottom of the sump. Did the lack of balancer cause the nut to come off? maybe, maybe not.

Comment

You have to have a harmonic balancer. As previously stated it dampens the throw harmonics, or to put it in english it balances the engine. Most inline motors have one of some sort. I'd be wary of that motor. Definitly run some tests on it before you drop it in the car, could be completly trashed if someone was running it with out a HB.

You have to swap the oil pan anyways if its going in an e30, so while you have it apart, take a look at the crank shaft and rob bearings and the what not. Make sure everything is torqued properly and spins correctly.

The last thing you want is to go to all the trouble of doing a motor swap the motor being shot. Its happened to me before, back when i was young and a bit of a newb to mechanics.
                    Originally posted by Beastolizer
                    what is the difference between the 12 LED and 6 LED and 24 LED?
                    Originally posted by norcalE30
                    you may want to sit down, this is complex...
                    one has 6 LEDs, one has 12 LEDs, and one has 24 LEDs

Comment

Yes what everyone else said is correct about needing the mass to dampen and match the harmonics the motor creates to eliminate vibrations and noise.

Your bigger problem is that your motor needs atleast the outter ring of the balancer because that is the tone ring for the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) to read from and know where the crankshaft is. Hens the empty bracket right above your pulleys.
                      Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=310912

Comment

Originally posted by tazer View Post
                        Your bigger problem is that your motor needs atleast the outter ring of the balancer because that is the tone ring for the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) to read from and know where the crankshaft is. Hens the empty bracket right above your pulleys.
                        Nope, on the S52 motors the CKP is mounted to the block under the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                          Nope, on the S52 motors the CKP is mounted to the block under the starter.
                          Ahhh you are correct. I looked right past the S52 in his discription and my mind went to S50.
                          Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=310912

Comment

Working...
                          X