X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving this here for later.

4hp22-eh pinout
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sweeeet! Looks like you're getting some sense of that eh mess...
      sigpic
      Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
      '94 318i
      '07 335i
      '11 X5
      '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Yeah, though it seems like the controller for the 4hp22-eh takes into account injector pulse time, which will change dramatically when I put bigger injectors in for the boost. And I fear that that will negatively affect the shift points and whatnot. I just can't damn decide. I think it would be trick to have the electronic trans for the whole sport/economy modes, but when it's supercharged, it will likely always be in "sport" mode anyway.

Maybe this, maybe I put the 4hp22-eh in now with m30b34 with their factory harnesses and controllers and make them work like factory. Then, when I boost it, I change over to the 4hp22 (cable-op kick down version) and megasquirt on a m20 harness. Yep, I like that...

Thoughts?
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sounds like a good plan... Set them both up for same output shaft so you don't have to change driveshaft. Since both the eh and cable op one can be used in 535/635/735, maybe you can set up the driveshaft to match larger trans out shaft. You'll also need the throttle body with cable holder when you go analog (does that word work?).
          sigpic
          '94 318i
          '07 335i
          '11 X5
          '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
            I would too, if that's what came with the motor I got. But it came with an auto and I just thought, why not. A manual costs more money (cause I'd have to buy it) and the auto is paid for and more muscle car style.
            Oh, fair enough.
            I wouldn't say more muscle car style, more a different style. Banging gears with some proper horsepower is great fun for road racing. But column shift would be properly badass. Unfortunately my only experiences with BMW of that era's autos are that they're fairly woeful, which is why I personally wouldn't go near them.
            Can you mod the valve body so they shift tighter?
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
              Can you mod the valve body so they shift tighter?
              I have no idea. I don't know a thing about automatics. I reckon when this is finished I'll know a few things. If valve body mods could be done on the cheap with tools I already own, I'll try it.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                Yeah, though it seems like the controller for the 4hp22-eh takes into account injector pulse time, which will change dramatically when I put bigger injectors in for the boost. And I fear that that will negatively affect the shift points and whatnot. I just can't damn decide. I think it would be trick to have the electronic trans for the whole sport/economy modes, but when it's supercharged, it will likely always be in "sport" mode anyway.

Maybe this, maybe I put the 4hp22-eh in now with m30b34 with their factory harnesses and controllers and make them work like factory. Then, when I boost it, I change over to the 4hp22 (cable-op kick down version) and megasquirt on a m20 harness. Yep, I like that...

Thoughts?
                It does use injector load and will throw the trans into limp mode uncorrected. I had a guy that I was helping with this but he gave up and didn't follow thru. I think that adding a OBC correction board from Steve @ SeattleCircuit would correct this but still need to prove it. I have one of the correction boards and need to look into making it work.
                My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                  It does use injector load and will throw the trans into limp mode uncorrected. I had a guy that I was helping with this but he gave up and didn't follow thru. I think that adding a OBC correction board from Steve @ SeattleCircuit would correct this but still need to prove it. I have one of the correction boards and need to look into making it work.
                  Well that's something I had no idea existed. But awesome! Maybe a collaboration should be in order. Let me know if I can help somehow.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man the Visionary View Post
                    Sounds like a good plan... Set them both up for same output shaft so you don't have to change driveshaft. Since both the eh and cable op one can be used in 535/635/735, maybe you can set up the driveshaft to match larger trans out shaft.
                    I think I've read that the output flange can be changed to the large guibo one with relative ease. So I'll likely do that to try to retain an un-modified driveshaft.

You'll also need the throttle body with cable holder when you go analog (does that word work?).
                    This will likely be a non-issue as I'll probably go with some odd Saab or Jaguar TB or some other wild thing I find at the yard when it's time for the supercharger to go in.

I'm so excited! Too bad I'm still broke. The money gods should start shining their glory down on me soon...
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Been reading. There's some dude in Australia, that had accidentally fried his TCU (trans control unit) for his 4hp22eh. Then he just rigged up a rotary switch and some relays to manually/electronically change gears. This fact is making my brain feel all warm n fuzzy. So does this mean I could do some nifty shit with gear changery? Flappy paddles? Something cooler? What may the options be if I manualize (or manualify?) this auto?
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

That would be sick!!!
                        sigpic
                        '94 318i
                        '07 335i
                        '11 X5
                        '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Maybe like this, spoiler alert…it's a vw hubcap.
                          Attached Files
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Reading more, I find that the TCU will retard ignition timing (during shifting) to smoothen shifts. I like that. I think I really need to make the 4hp22eh work like it did in the 735i. If it shifts all luxuriously, that could still be awesome.

G-man, you've got PM.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I don't see it... Well, if you do it right, it'll think it IS in a 735, all luxurious n shyt... Sweeet
                              sigpic
                              '94 318i
                              '07 335i
                              '11 X5
                              '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

I don't see it...
                                I mean 'now' you've got PM.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X