Differential decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential decisions

Hello. I'm planning on starting a s52 swap in the coming weeks. I'm going to be using a zf trans and was wondering what differential to go with. I'm between a 3.25 or a 3.46. Does anyone have experience with both? I'm wondering what highway cruising rpm's will be with the 3.46.

Thanks!

Over 3k with the 3.46.

In a much heavier car, the m54b30 (similar hp/tq to s52) cruises well with a 2.91,
    but 1st is tall at the light

3.15/3.25, methinks

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I have a 3.25 in my swap car with a ZF, and 80-85 mph on the freeway is around 3700 rpm with OE rolling diameter tires (205/55/15). If you're cruising closer to 70 mph, then a 3.25 should be plenty tolerable and still provide good acceleration.

Comment

Any reason you wouldn't consider a 3.15? I have an m52/ZF with a 3.15 and it seems perfect to me.
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I think 3.46 is way too short ratio. 3.15 is perfect for NA engine. Longer one is then better if engine is boosted (I have 2.65 and it's really nice).

Comment

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I was in between those 2 because I know the e36 M3 had a 3.23 and since I'm using the full M3 drive line, I thought the 3.46 might give a nice acceleration bump. But I was concerned about the highway cruising speed at that ratio. Hearing everyone's feedback though, I'm going to go with either the 3.15 or 3.25. Thank you again guys, I really do appreciate the input.

Comment

Working...
            X