Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left turn signal blinks fast (as if a bulb were out)..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of my fuses are intact, new flasher relay (for the blinker), and new bulbs and my left front blinker just won't work!

The rear one works sometimes (flashes rapidly) but after a second or two the rely buzzes and doesn't stop until I switch the blinkers off.

What the hell?

Comment

My friend claims that it could be the light switch as my parking lights are involved in some crazy antics. Left driving lights wont turn on but they do flash (fast), then if you have the fogs and headlights on when you shut the car off the lights wont turn off. You have to restart the car, shut the lights and then turn the car off????
      sigpic
      WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

hhmmm my left turn signal bulb is on when the parking brakes are on. the flash quickly when they turn signals on and alternate with right blinker with the flashers on. whats going on?

Comment

I feel like an Idiot, after going over everything, with book and laptop I could not figure it out. My brother comes over for a BBQ and asks if I had resolved the issue. So he takes the manual and follows procedure and in ten minutes problem solved. Although I had checked every fuse twice I missed one!!!!
          sigpic
          WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

I had the same problem. The connection on the back of the dim light is all corroded. Clean or replace the connection and the quick blinking will go away.

Comment

my connection looks good though. I took it all apart and cleaned it up and double checked contacts with a meter. New bulb. I think I'm just gonna rewire it. Does a bad reverse light switch on the tranny cause this?

Comment

Originally posted by BMWDriver View Post
                im having the same problem with my front right, fast blink and all bulbs are working but front right blinker is dim. then today the left started doing the same. i also noticed that at night with the lights on the turn signal indicator was dimly lit all the time.. i checked the wiring and it looks like the PO had done the side marker mod so they are running off the running lights.. ive tried replacing bulbs and this didnt change anything..

Mine did this. I had new clear signals installed and the tech found the socket needed to soldered. Lights and install = 130.00 But point being their might be a short at the socket. Take off bumper to investigate.
                sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

fixed mine. basically rewired turn signal all the way to the relay.

Comment

Search FTW...

Glad I found this posting... I have an '87 with similar issues as posted. My question, is pulling the bumper the best way to access the back of the light? Just checking if anyone has a trick besides that...

Thanks

Comment

That's the only way to get to the wires connecting to the turn signal socket. I have to do this myself this weekend...I know I have a broken ground wire on left turn signal. Attempted quick-connect repair once, that didn't work. Will take apart and solder this time and test it before putting bumper back on tight. BTW: taking the bumper off is usually not a big deal.

Comment

mine does the same thing...same turn signal (LEFT)...
                        1991 318IS

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
                          +1

Little more detail- Your turn signal is using your parking lights as a ground. The current is traveling from the turn signal switch, through the turn signal filament in the bulb, then through the parking light filament of the bulb, and through the rest of the parking lights in the car to ground. The reason the parking light filament is the one lighting up is because it is the highest resistance point in that circuit.

To show it another way, put your parking lights on and hit the hazards. What will happen is the light will go dark every time the turn signal is supposed to be on because there is +12v at the parking light side of the bulb instead of the path to ground provided by all of the other bulbs from earlier. +12v on both sides of the bulb results in a net difference of 0v, thus no light.

What is broken on your car is the ground, which is supposed to be connected between those filaments.

Too many people have problems with turn signal issues.... That and if your rear turn signal bulb were to blow, your car would do some stranger stuff, like having the green arrow on the dash light up with the parking lights.
                          Damn sparky. +1 I would check all the connections in the light housing, if this doesn't work, its possible it could have leaked inside the light and corroded. If its not one of these two than its gonna be a real pain in the ass.

Nio är livets tal.

Comment

Quick fix for the lazy:

I was having the fast blinking when all bulbs were good. This is on my crap parts car, but i needed to pass inspection. I was in a rush and didn't feel like taking off the bumper to clean/ rewire the ground.

I soldered a wire to the side of the bulb and ran that wire to ground. Works like a charm.
                            this would be a good tester to find your bad ground as well.
                            Thanks,

Dan
                            Matawan, NJ

Comment

He Searchs He scores!

Would any of this affect spark or fuel? Tonight my left turn signal started blinking fast and then my I had no power above idle. Turned on the hazards and they started flashing fast too.

Got pulled by our local police and while I idled waiting on officer friendly, all returned to normal.

Comment

my turn signals no longer work the relay made a buzzin sound and they stopped working and made my check panel cut out
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X