M52tub28+3.0 intake+zhp cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52tub28+3.0 intake+zhp cams?

So it looks like I have finally settled on a motor for the swap. Picking up a 99 528 5sp this weekend. I have seen talk of this with the e46 guys, just not sure if anyone has done it with a e30. Probably and hopefully since it seems like almost all has been tried, but here's what I'm thinking per the title. M52tub28, 3.0 intake and cams from zhp or maybe schricks if I have the funds. Naturally other supporting mods too like headers, exhaust, tune obviously. Haven't explored this too much yet but maybe shark, maybe mail order if something is out there for this set up. So here's my questions, anyone done this? Run the 528 trans?Anything I'm missing? From my reading the swap is a cross between the m52 and 54. Has anyone found a source for the euro pick up tube? I think it's from a 735 or 738, that would leave me modding the subframe and oil pan to keep the sum in the rear.
    89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
    99 540it
    86 Volvo 240 wagon
    99 Cherokee
    13 Passat

Believe it uses the same old ZF 320 unit that E36's used. Why not just use an e34 525i pan?
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
      Believe it uses the same old ZF 320 unit that E36's used. Why not just use an e34 525i pan?
      Yes should be the zf. E34 pan is a option but pretty sure the pick up tube needs to be modified. At that point why not eliminate the low front mounted sump to something that's tucked behind the subframe?
      99 540it
      86 Volvo 240 wagon
      99 Cherokee
      13 Passat

Comment

we doesn't one of our advertisers here sell an s54 modified subframe. you'd be going that direction. easy as spending the money and sending a core.

Comment

we doesn't one of our advertisers here sell an s54 modified subframe. you'd be going that direction. easy as spending the money and sending a core.
          Yes at least two that I know of. I was asking about the euro pick up tube that fits the m52/54 pan, not the subframe.
          99 540it
          86 Volvo 240 wagon
          99 Cherokee
          13 Passat

Comment

The b30 intake manifold and zhp cams are MAYBE worth 5-7whp/wtq. The headers, a decent air intake, exhaust and a tune are key on the m52tu/m54.
            Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
              The b30 intake manifold and zhp cams are MAYBE worth 5-7whp/wtq. The headers, a decent air intake, exhaust and a tune are key on the m52tu/m54.
              That's it? I thought it was a little more with just the intake and cams, like 15-20. Those people probably already had supporting mods before the intake install. I haven't seen any real numbers posted with the b28 to b30 head plus cams. With the other mods I thought it made much more of a difference?

ETA, those 15-20 numbers were probably from some sort of tune added to the cams and intake.
              99 540it
              86 Volvo 240 wagon
              99 Cherokee
              13 Passat

Comment

How about a simple tried and true way, add a turbo kit.

Comment

How about a simple tried and true way, add a turbo kit.
                  That's a option I'm heavily considering down the road. I'm actually getting a secon complete take out so the plan is to get the swap done and running with the first motor so I know everything is good to go with that. Then I'll build the final configuration with the other as funds allow. I think this is a pretty safe route to go and should help with the ease of the project. At least it seems like a solid plan in my head.
                  99 540it
                  86 Volvo 240 wagon
                  99 Cherokee
                  13 Passat

Comment

ZHP cams aren't worth the effort, save for Shrick - the intake manifold is however.
                    E92 Msport

Comment

Since you're planning on having another motor to build on the side, why not go the stroker way with M54b30 bottom end? You could also use the M54 240 cams on the intake for your current motor and save Schrick money for the built motor? Just an idea :)

Comment

Originally posted by ahviamusicom View Post
                        Since you're planning on having another motor to build on the side, why not go the stroker way with M54b30 bottom end? You could also use the M54 240 cams on the intake for your current motor and save Schrick money for the built motor? Just an idea :)
                        Agreed! I have the rotating assembly and intake cam I will sell you ;)

Comment

The M54 intake manifold will really waken the engine up, the ZHP cams however could be considered a waste of money.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            The M54 intake manifold will really waken the engine up, the ZHP cams however could be considered a waste of money.
                            I sound my Dinan strut brace to you for the Z3! How are you doing man, how is the car?
                            E92 Msport

Comment

Originally posted by TheAxiom View Post
                              I sound my Dinan strut brace to you for the Z3! How are you doing man, how is the car?
                              Hey! I've been doing good, but the Z3 has been neglected since I got into the e30 game. She's been used more as a daily beater since then. However I'll be showing her some serious love in the next few years. Just got to get one of my e30s finished first.
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                              X