• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I smell a sticky for ABS issues?
    sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

Fred, did your ABS system just start doing this one day all of a sudden? Mine was fine from the time I got the car, just until I started having the issue around last summer. I haven't checked my sensors yet, and I can't think of why it would start doing it out of the blue, but it's worth checking.

Comment

My issue was completely self-inflicted, because the brakes worked fine prior to refreshing the suspension. After I installed the wrong sensor, that's when things went south. Upon installing the right sensor, my braking was fine.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

That's what's different between your issue and mine, I've never touched my sensors.

Comment

I guess sensors can go bad over time. I had one go bad on my E36 and I never touched it. You can try cleaning the sensors, as sometimes they collect metal filings which can affect signal quality. At the same time you should check the wire insulation. Over time the rubber gets crispy and starts to crack and peel away. The least expensive way to see if the sensors are the problem is to get a known-good set for around $60-80 for all 4.

Comment

FWIW, the best way to diag an ABS system is to use an oscilloscope and look at the signal coming from each corner. I've used this method many times at work to find bad sensors and hub rings.
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the best way to test sensors would be to use an oscilloscope. It doesn't even have to be a fancy or expensive scope to get the job done. You should be able to get a used scope for around $100 for a bare bones unit off Ebay.

Comment

Back from the dead thread...

This sort of problem, an intermittent ABS engagement just started on my IX. I cleaned the hubs, and it seemed to solve the problem, but would like to be a little more confident than that.

What should a good/bad hub look like on an oscilloscope?

Janderson, you ever solve your issue? I had no work in the area to make the change occur either.

Comment

Originally posted by dubdub View Post
                    What should a good/bad hub look like on an oscilloscope?
                    If it was filled up with rust I'd imagine you would have a dirty/inconsistent waveform. I've had hubs on customer cars that cracked and produced a longer than normal wavelength once per revolution that threw off the ABS.
                    '91 318is
                    sigpic

Comment

I was balancing my wheels today an noticed some part of my strut housing around my upper part of my sway bar links running against my unibody. its worn threw they rubberized layer. Just curious if anybody has experienced this.

It looks like it just may be the stud and bolt part of the links rubbing.
                      Install radiant floor heating systems reviews | Best electric radiant floor heat | Radiant floor heating systems

Comment

Working...
                      X