No announcement yet.

Subframe Won't Come Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you got it. What a PITA. Thanks for sharing the solution.

I’ll be doing mine at some point, hoping it will be easier on my car.
    Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
    1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
    Palm Beach County

Comment

After reading my explanation I see how it sounded like I was saying go from the top. You did it the exact way I was trying to explain it. Glad you got it out. Sending a bolt in the bottom is the easiest way of getting it done I feel.
      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
        Glad you got it. What a PITA. Thanks for sharing the solution.

I’ll be doing mine at some point, hoping it will be easier on my car.
        PB blaster. Drench everything in it like you're Ron Jeremy.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

My first one was like this one...took days. For me it was the 5/8 tap, threaded rod and 3 vicious whacks of a slide hammer.

Last one just fell out when I unbolted it.

Welcome to e30 world....and George has it right :)
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

So, if this method doesn't work, then what?...I am in the exact same boat, except mine wont come out PERIOD...My subframe bushings snapped into the body when my buddy and I took the subframe down and both sides are being complete bastards...I used 5/8 bolts and have been beating on them for days now with a sledge and NOTHING...Has anyone tried using a drill the size of the sleeve itself and just drilling it out? I'm worried about hurting the body.

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
              So, if this method doesn't work, then what?...I am in the exact same boat, except mine wont come out PERIOD...My subframe bushings snapped into the body when my buddy and I took the subframe down and both sides are being complete bastards...I used 5/8 bolts and have been beating on them for days now with a sledge and NOTHING...Has anyone tried using a drill the size of the sleeve itself and just drilling it out? I'm worried about hurting the body.
              Get a proper air hammer, and hit it from the top into the bolt.

I recommend "big nasty":
              After receiving many messages asking me if "BIG NASTY" is really as good as I say it is I decided to make this short video. The Astro 4980 is indeed the nast...

If you're on a budget, get this, dollar per power is insanely good with the 7150:

Otherwise, drill it out, just go slow, and make sure not to go too far. As the picture illustrates, you dont want to drill into the 'seat for subframe bolt" black (car) material.

You should be able to tell from the top just how far/close you have drilled.

Once its mostly drilled, you can use a cold chisel and it should start to spit apart/fall out.
              Last edited by noid; 07-24-2018, 05:25 PM.
              Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                Get a proper air hammer, and hit it from the top into the bolt.

I recommend "big nasty":
                After receiving many messages asking me if "BIG NASTY" is really as good as I say it is I decided to make this short video. The Astro 4980 is indeed the nast...

If you're on a budget, get this, dollar per power is insanely good with the 7150:

Otherwise, drill it out, just go slow, and make sure not to go too far. As the picture illustrates, you dont want to drill into the 'seat for subframe bolt" black (car) material.

You should be able to tell from the top just how far/close you have drilled.

Once its mostly drilled, you can use a cold chisel and it should start to spit apart/fall out.
                I'v been considering an air hammer, but I already managed to punch the 5/8 bolt out once and im a bit tired of wasting money on tools that aren't working. I'll look into getting the Chicago pneumatic one and see what happens. It's getting frustrating as I feel like this one thing could literally ruin the car and waste all the money I have into it at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
                  I'v been considering an air hammer, but I already managed to punch the 5/8 bolt out once and im a bit tired of wasting money on tools that aren't working. I'll look into getting the Chicago pneumatic one and see what happens. It's getting frustrating as I feel like this one thing could literally ruin the car and waste all the money I have into it at this point.
                  Just drill it out then, a drill bit and cold chisel are cheap.

A stuck bushing is hardly reason to worry about a whole car becoming trash.

Just remember, you're not the first or last to be in this situation.
                  Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                    Just drill it out then, a drill bit and cold chisel are cheap.

A stuck bushing is hardly reason to worry about a whole car becoming trash.

Just remember, you're not the first or last to be in this situation.
                    I just have worries of drilling too much and ruining the mounting point. I have had an e46 in the past with torn subframe mounts so I get slightly paranoid about subframes on bmw's...

Comment

Well, tried the air hammer and just managed to strip out the lag bolt and knock off all of the external bits that were hanging on, so looks like ill be drilling out the sleeve now. Wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X