No announcement yet.

Brakes have a mind of their own, ABS problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I junked the parts car and got the swap car into the garage. I checked the ABS rings on the rear halfshafts after pulling the sensors. They are visually undamaged. I cleaned them and reinstalled them and nothing changed.

My next step is to rebuild the calipers.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Just remove the abs. Unless you really need it.

Comment

I'm sure the system can be fixed, but it's just a matter of figuring out what is wrong.

Comment

I'd be suspect of the wiring if its been happening since your motor swap. Because it easy ground the positive terminal and reset the system, see if that does anything. Are you loosing any fluid? I've heard when the master cylinder starts to go this happens, I guess it doesn't release pressure back and when you step on the pedal the next time is pushes even more pressure on the ABS system to activate? Just a guess why it happens.

Comment

Well, pin 20 requires 12V in run and start, which it has. I've done an M50 swap to a different 318is before and the system worked fine, with an identical wiring setup. I'm going to snip the ABS power wire to see if it is a hydraulic problem or an ABS problem.

I am using a known good master cylinder, and I am not losing any fluid. I just finished rebuilding all four brakes. I haven't tested the brakes yet, because when I finished last night there was snow on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyG View Post
              Just remove the abs. Unless you really need it.
              The good old typical R3V fix. Pull the bulb. :roll:

I haven't done a swap, and I have the same issue as Fred.

Comment

did you ground the system at all? I doubt that will help, but its easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                  The good old typical R3V fix. Pull the bulb. :roll:

I haven't done a swap, and I have the same issue as Fred.
                  I dunno about you but I rather not have brakes that lock up all on their own. If it was becoming a serious problem that I couldn't fix I'd remove the system. And I'm not saying unplug it.... jesus.

Comment

That's the stupidest fucking logic I've ever heard.

So then you have it fixed by someone who CAN fix it. Why in the hell would you want to just remove your ABS system?

Seriously, grow a brain.

Comment

That's the stupidest fucking logic I've ever heard.

So then you have it fixed by someone who CAN fix it. Why in the hell would you want to just remove your ABS system?

Seriously, grow a brain.
                      Well look at it this way.

Your a college student. You have no money. Your abs system is locking your wheels up creating a dangerous situation. Not having the probably 500+ dollars to fix it with a shop, you remove it.

I don't see why you get an attitude and insult me?

On that note everyone who removes their A/c system because it doesn't work is a fucking tard too right?

Comment

It IS a safety issue, and if I daily drove the car I'd at least disable the ABS. Fortunately it's an occasional-use car, so there's no harm in not removing it until I figure out what the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyG View Post
                          On that note everyone who removes their A/c system because it doesn't work is a fucking tard too right?
                          Your A/C isn't a safety system. You do like Fred said and disable it temporarily, not remove the entire system.

My A/C is removed because I don't like it and it's heavy as shit. It also didn't work. But it's not going to save my life. Again, get a clue.

Comment

Your A/C isn't a safety system. You do like Fred said and disable it temporarily, not remove the entire system.

My A/C is removed because I don't like it and it's heavy as shit. It also didn't work. But it's not going to save my life. Again, get a clue.
                            Not all of the e30's came with abs. My 84 had no abs system.

And if removing the ABS system is that big of a safety hazard to you maybe you should try some driving courses.

Not trying to be a dick. But I just don't see why you have such an attitude.
                            Last edited by PhillyG; 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM.

Comment

ABS it there to keep your car straight and at optimal slowing in a panic stop situation and was was mandated by the feds to be installed on all cars by the late 80s.

A highly skilled driver doesn't need this however it does do what it's supposed to better than any human being could.

To have the ABS circumvented intentionally on a car driven on the street could mean the difference between being involved in a terribly unfortunate accident and being charged with negligent homicide / manslaughter.

This legal president has already been set and tested.

Don't be stupid.
                              Last edited by MrWizard; 02-19-2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Sure but when driving around town are you speeding? no. Unless your an idiot. I drive pretty damn slow tbh. I rather have no ABS than a malfunctioning abs system.

Comment

Working...
                                X