rx7/corrado upgrade progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rx7/corrado upgrade progress

So it begins. Waiting for the rotors to get machined out to start fiddling with the offset. Hacked out a bracket out of some scrap aluminum for mockup. Also gives me a chance to see just how beefy I can make the final design. I did have to rip out the dust shield. I'm sure I could have done it by nibbling away at it but I don't care.

I'm not sure why I read people saying you need to change the brake hose, my E30 fit the caliper perfectly.

Got a set of rotors bored out. Also a set of cheapie pads, and a new set of springs/shims from the dealer. For those who get the calipers without them, don't let the dealer tell you that they can't sell them without pads, here's the P/N:

FDZ3-33-29Z

Supposedly the pins can be bought too, mine had them though. NAPA has a set made by Raybestos but I don't think they come with the shims, and the pins don't fit.

Figured out why the brake line isn't compatible. Apparently the inverted flare in the caliper hole is just a fitting and can be ripped out but I needed to prove it to myself by finding a diagram and couldn't. I really didn't want to fuck up my minty calipers, plus this way they stay desirable for Jap applications.

My calipers came with little hard lines, so I had a friend make me adapters out of one:

Comment

Hey Dmitry

Reassure me by telling that the aluminum bracket on the picture is only a mock-up. It needs to be 1/2" thick steel (can't go thicker anyway because of rotor) and wider.
      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
        Hey Dmitry

Reassure me by telling that the aluminum bracket on the picture is only a mock-up. It needs to be 1/2" thick steel (can't go thicker anyway because of rotor) and wider.
        Hey Lee,

Hehe yeah like I said in the original post, it's just so I can figure out the offset, and see just how big I can make the final bracket. It'll be as big as will fit. I also do not plan on using 8.8 grade bolts. :)

Comment

Rotor test-fit. Looks like it's almost dead-on, off by maybe 1mm.

Last edited by BigD; 01-09-2009, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Big D -

The best position for radial positioning of the caliper is 1mm from the center of the spindle's bolt pattern to the center of the caliper's bolt pattern.

O------O------------------O-------O <-----BRACKET

C------S------------------S-------C

Move the "S" holes up 1mm. This will put the edges of the pads about .5mm from the edge of the rotor.

There are two different pad shapes for FC/FD calipers. I highly recommend Hawk brake pads...they are the larger of the two.

Comment

Just finished measuring the bracket. Should have a pair done this week.

Chris - why is it good to have the pad not on the edge? Am I not sacrificing leverage by not using part of the outside perimeter of the rotor? My dad decided the radial alignment was perfect because the pad was using the rotor all the way to the outside. I don't know enough about this to make valuable input so I trusted his judgment. But it's not too late to change it.

Comment

I trial fitted my wheels and it's not gonna work. Even with my Kosei K1 and 25mm spacers, gonna have to grind down the MAZDA. Sucks too, I wanted to keep it for the cheese factor. EDIT: on second thought... the caliper's going inboard by 1mm... maybe it wont rub afterall. Guess I'll wait and see.
                Last edited by BigD; 01-10-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm... I have 280mm kits available. Or brackets only...

Lee

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Hmmmm... I have 280mm kits available. Or brackets only...

Lee
                    Unfortunately not for free and not for RX7 calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
                      Unfortunately not for free and not for RX7 calipers.
                      Well, why would you keep calipers that will not work even with smallish 280mm discs?

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Well, why would you keep calipers that will not work even with smallish 280mm discs?
                        Who said they won't work??? They're already working.

Comment

Who said they won't work??? They're already working.
                          I trial fitted my wheels and it's not gonna work. Even with my Kosei K1 and 25mm spacers, gonna have to grind down the MAZDA.
                          Kosei K1s have 27mm offset. If you add 25mm spacers, you end up with wheels with such a low offset they will require flares...

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Kosei K1s have 27mm offset. If you add 25mm spacers, you end up with wheels with such a low offset they will require flares...
                            I guess mine are fake with 45. :roll: Wheels not fitting is not caliper not working. And FC calipers won't have this problem (mine may not either, it only grazes the spokes, with the caliper in proper position it may clear without removing the letters).

Comment

Lee,

Wow, dude. As if you don't have enough of a presence on the boards, you have to come into individual's threads and pimp your wares? Amazing.

FD calipers do fit behind some wheels without spacers. I had the FD calipers over my BBS RN's with 20mm spacers, and 225/50/15 RA1s without any problems other than a little fender massaging.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
                              X