No announcement yet.

S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The S54 works with S50 (euro) siemens ecu and sensors, why has the states not caught on?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Tuning, money, and availability. Few people work with MSS50 in the US. Race teams use either the stock DME or stand alone EMS, so development money has gone towards that end.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

The interesting thing is here is that the M50 swap has finally caught on as a viable E30 upgrade, but the problem is that both "euro" motors (S50 / S54) are still 10K NZD items here, whereas an M5x is around 1K NZD, and the ironic thing is, is that the swaps aren't that far apart, in terms of difficulty.

MSS50 is factory "flashable" so if you rock into a dealer with a full swap (IE: EWS, all the keys, motor, all from the same car, but in an E30) they're more than happy to reflash the ECU so all your shit works together in the E30 chassis.

That's what Ian Haynes did, whom I consider the original guru of the Euro S50B32/E30 swap

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

From a Controls standpoint, the S54 would be easier to implement with the 413 than the M54. The two differences are the way the VANOS is implemented and the cam sensor wheels.

The VANOS system has two solenoids per cam on the S54 instead of the one that the M54 has. This makes life much easier. On the M54 the single solenoid acts as both the fill and the drain so it needs to be tightly controlled to maintain intermediate positions. Like balancing a broom on your finger, if you don't pay attention for a split-second it will tip over.

The S54 has a seperate fill and drain solenoid so that if you remove the signal altogether it will maintain whatever position you left it at. Easy!

The challenge to integrate the 413 is the cam wheel. The 413 wants to see the "hemispherical" cam wheel from the M50/S50 motors. The S54 has 6 fingers on the intake cam and 7 on the exhaust with a missing tooth.

Since my VANOS board is already adept at reading cam signals, what I would do is have it output a pseudo-M50 cam wheel signal by interpreting the S54 signals. Pretty easy stuff. The VANOS board would basically become an interpreter to translate S54 cam-speak into M50 to make the 413 happy.

The 413 would never be as good as a $8000 MOTEC but it's not too shabby, either.

Comment

hoveringuy you are awesome

Comment

I'm sad i didn't clue in on your car at the pnw xxx meet hovering, wanted to check er out :(
              Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Dealership help with MSS50 swap

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
                The interesting thing is here is that the M50 swap has finally caught on as a viable E30 upgrade, but the problem is that both "euro" motors (S50 / S54) are still 10K NZD items here, whereas an M5x is around 1K NZD, and the ironic thing is, is that the swaps aren't that far apart, in terms of difficulty.

MSS50 is factory "flashable" so if you rock into a dealer with a full swap (IE: EWS, all the keys, motor, all from the same car, but in an E30) they're more than happy to reflash the ECU so all your shit works together in the E30 chassis.

That's what Ian Haynes did, whom I consider the original guru of the Euro S50B32/E30 swap
                Actually, there is no need to visit the dealer at all if you drop an S50B32 into an E30. You can simply wire in the original key, EWS module, transmitter, key ring and dme to work as they did on the E36. Just tape the key in the ring, wire it properly, and you're done.

What guys DO have in the UK, and quite easily accessible, is the ability to TUNE the MSS50 on a dyno. No one here does that from a practical perspective, though there are some people capable of it, its not like in Europe.

It is also possible to have a guru reflash the dme to have ews deleted, but that is not something the dealer can do.

S50B32 harnesses are not lying around on the ground in this country. Well, ok, maybe in my basement, but not much otherwise. In europe they are abundant.

The S54 will be an easy transplant soon.... I'm SURE of that.
                sigpic
                Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
                http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

do it now!! :hitler: I need someone to race in the 340

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                  From a Controls standpoint, the S54 would be easier to implement with the 413 than the M54. The two differences are the way the VANOS is implemented and the cam sensor wheels.

The VANOS system has two solenoids per cam on the S54 instead of the one that the M54 has. This makes life much easier. On the M54 the single solenoid acts as both the fill and the drain so it needs to be tightly controlled to maintain intermediate positions. Like balancing a broom on your finger, if you don't pay attention for a split-second it will tip over.

The S54 has a seperate fill and drain solenoid so that if you remove the signal altogether it will maintain whatever position you left it at. Easy!

The challenge to integrate the 413 is the cam wheel. The 413 wants to see the "hemispherical" cam wheel from the M50/S50 motors. The S54 has 6 fingers on the intake cam and 7 on the exhaust with a missing tooth.

Since my VANOS board is already adept at reading cam signals, what I would do is have it output a pseudo-M50 cam wheel signal by interpreting the S54 signals. Pretty easy stuff. The VANOS board would basically become an interpreter to translate S54 cam-speak into M50 to make the 413 happy.

The 413 would never be as good as a $8000 MOTEC but it's not too shabby, either.
                  looking for a e30m50 swap harness adapter pm me $150 shipped
                  email nitroman12@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by lennon View Post
                    hoveringuy you are awesome
                    nah, he's making all that stuff up :p
                    http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Working...
                    X