abs delete? worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

abs delete? worth it?

tossing the idea around. it would be another system to not have to worry about, supposed to have more control supposebly. any truth to this?

keep in mind it is my DD, any situation where not haveing ABS is better?

or is this a HORRIBLE idea

Sub'ed.

I bet there are a lot of e30 that the ABS isn't even working. I know my car is fubard as far as the ABS. (I've cut off the sensors) Would love to get rid of the pump too. I hear the it makes the pedal feel much better.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

RIGHT!^

i had the brakes lock up on a car doing 90 once, kept it under control no problems.

could imclimate weather cause a dangerous situation without ABS?

Comment

keep the abs

Comment

I have driven my DD E30 100k+ miles with no ABS. The light came on and I never fixed it. It is nice in some instances. By todays standards the ABS in the E30 is junk. Even cars from the late 90s have better ABS. The E30 ABS is only a panic mode intervention. Meaning road full of ice and so on. I could be wrong.
          If you know how to drive and can modulate the pedal ABS takes longer to stop.
          sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
          The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Multichannel ABS has been used since at least the mid-seventies and afaik continues to be used in modern ABS systems.

It's not possible to modulate all four wheels individually with a single pedal like multichannel ABS does.
            There is no situation where having no ABS is better than having a properly functioning ABS unless you consider cost a factor.
            Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
              There is no situation where having no ABS is better than having a properly functioning ABS unless you consider cost a factor.
              Are you drunk posting again?

Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Someone should do a write up. My abs doesnt even work

Comment

My 84 doesnt even have ABS, you jelly?
                  1990 332i, 4 door
                  2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                  2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                  2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                  2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

The ABS in an E30 is only a three channel system and isn't all that sophisticated. But even so it will outperform the majority of drivers. Threshold braking w/o ABS is a learned skill. Some can learn to manage it very well, a much larger group will be so-so, and some just never get it. It doesn't matter whether the car is a daily driver or a race car. The majority of drivers are better off having ABS. If the car has ABS, keep it.

Someone should do a write up. My abs doesnt even work
                    Troubleshooting the ABS system isn't very difficult. It is a standalone system
                    that only gets input data from the brake light switch, wheel sensors, and
                    system power. The parts of the system are the ABS module located next to the
                    steering column, the ABS relay mounted above the ABS module, the ABS unit in
                    the left front of the engine bay, and a speed sensor at each wheel.

If the ABS light comes on with ignition, but doesn't go out when the engine
                    starts, a wiring problem, bad module, or bad ABS relay are the likely
                    candidates. A failed or weak alternator will also cause this because the
                    system voltage won't rise enough. There is a fusible link inside the ABS relay
                    that can be blown. The relay can be repaired, or better yet, replaced.

If the ABS light comes on when you turn on the ignition, goes out when the
                    engine starts, and then comes back on before the car is moving the cause could
                    be a bad module, a bad ABS unit, or a wiring fault.

If the light goes out after engine start and only comes on when the car is
                    moving, there's a problem with one (or more) of the sensors. The simple test
                    to find out which sensor(s) is the cause is to disconnect all but one of the
                    sensors and drive the car. If the light comes on, that sensor is sending a
                    speed signal to the ABS and is good. Repeat with each other sensor to find the
                    one(s) that don't cause the light to come on. Since the ABS module has no
                    speed input besides the wheel sensors, if only a bad sensor is connected the
                    module can't tell the car is moving and thus doesn't fault on missing speed
                    signals from the other wheels. Once a bad speed sensor is found, if a new
                    sensor still doesn't work, there could be a wiring fault in that circuit or a
                    bad input channel in the ABS unit.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I have an 85, no abs, and I'm proud of that.
                      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Do big brake kits affect abs operation? My abs in inop right now, but I may look into repairing it. I have a massive race kit up front, stock in the rear.

Comment

I know it is not popular, but I'm yanking my abs. Got the proportioning valve ready to go, just need the motivation to spend a day getting greasy (I need to clean the engine bay while I'm in there).

Comment

Originally posted by tttoon View Post
                            Do big brake kits affect abs operation? My abs in inop right now, but I may look into repairing it. I have a massive race kit up front, stock in the rear.
                            ABS is independent of what brake kit is on the car. Tough its operation will be affect by brake balance. In this case I'd suspect that you have way too much front bias and the front wheels are going to cause ABS activation too soon. Plus, under hard braking, the rear of the car is going to want to come around.

The stock brake system on an E30 (and most other BMW's) is biased toward the front. Putting a BBK just on the fronts makes that bias even worse. The fix for that is to install the correct BBK on the rear wheels and if the bias is still off replace the bias valve with an adjustable and dial in balanced braking.
                            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I feel bad for the person that the OP inevitably rear-ends.

You'd better check with your insurance company before you remove a factory installed safety system. Apologies, I mean implement your "ABS Delete Mod."
                              Originally posted by Gruelius
                              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                              X