Remove AC line from compressor to pull M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove AC line from compressor to pull M20

Help, this line is so frozen on there and where its at I cant seem get a good tool in there with any leverage to remove. Its basically the last line I have to disconnect before pulling my M20. Anyone else had this issue, what tool did you use?

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

You can use a fan clutch wrench because its the same size. You can put a lot of leverage on the nut because they usually have a really long handle on them.

If that doesn't work you can loosen the two allen head bolts on the flange below it. Be careful when removing the flange from the compressor because there is a retainer and spring that can shoot off when withdrawing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eskie View Post
      You can use a fan clutch wrench because its the same size. You can put a lot of leverage on the nut because they usually have a really long handle on them.

If that doesn't work you can loosen the two allen head bolts on the flange below it. Be careful when removing the flange from the compressor because there is a retainer and spring that can shoot off when withdrawing it.
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Eskie View Post

That did the trick thanks!

Comment

When I pulled my M20 I left all the AC lines and compressor connected. I removed the washer fluid tank (one plastic screw holding it in place) , un bolted the compressor from the engine block and placed the compressor right where the washer tank once was. This was you don't need to re charge the system (assuming a M20 is going back in I suppose). Hope this helps others in the future..

I was even able to drop my S50 in place with the M20 compressor and lines still attached, you can see it in the left hand corner.

-Kevin

IMG_8009 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

^ Same. I disconnected the compressor with the hoses attached and hung it on the lip using a repurposed coat hanger

Comment

I removed it with the clutch fan wrench.

Comment

Working...
              X